My cat eats fruit, is it normal?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slugworth, Oct 16, 2005.

1. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    My 6 month old kitty loves fruit! He likes bananas, grapes,
    and especially FIGS!!! I have a fig tree, and he climbs up the tree, picks them off and chows down..I've never had a cat that has such unusual tastes...He also loves cheese, lettuce,
    onions, corn chips, french fries, refried beans, tomatoes,
    ice cream, licorice, bread, spaghetti, garlic and oranges in addition to the usual Fancy Feast and Cat Chow. Is this normal?

2. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Our cats eat some fruit and things.. You shouldn't really feed them the food that you are giving them though, lol. It's not good to feed your pets junk food :p
  3. Im pretty sure its normal(if someone on here is a vet and knows its not normal, then ok I'm wrong). My girlfriends cat loves roughly half the foods you mentioned on there. Especially ice cream. And fudgecycles. He snuck up on me one time, sniffed it, licked it, REALLY liked it and batted the top off of it, wrestled it and ate the rest. He ended up coming back for more. And last summer we took him on a trip with us to a some ice cream, got back in the car, started eating the ice cream, he wakes up, we keep him away from it(well not the cone cuz its a cone), finish the ice cream but leave the cone. All of a sudden it gets yanked hard out of my hand and he is chewing this big waffle cone. He ate the whole thing and wouldn't let me get near it. Both times we had to clean him up real good afterwards(silly Maine Coon, ice cream is for...not kitties). Oh and he loves to lick butter when its out on the table.
  4. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO

I bet that cat is huge.

All the felines I've owned have never really exhibited unusual tastes. At least, not fruit and vegetables. The kittens we have now like cheese, but that's about it. Some other family members of mine feel compelled to give them rib meat, prime rib leftovers, whole milk, and other crap from the table. I just have to shake my head.
    Now they wonder why the kittens beg for scraps all the time. :rolleyes:

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    My dog loves various veggies and fruits like that. My mom taught her to sneeze on command a few years ago with slices of cheese, too.
  6. Well...yea. It IS a Maine Coon, so they do tend to be really really big. They are the biggest domestic breed and the males usually get to around 18-20 pounds. Neko(gf's cat) is roughly 14 pounds. And its all muscle. They look bigger than they are due to the long fur they have, they have lynx tips, tufts of fur between their paws for walking on snow, and they behave a bit like dogs. I.e. follow you around the house, run around aimlessly, lick your face. He usually paws water out of his dish to drink, and he scoops his food out of the dish and eats it one by one. And lately hes taken to not drinking of out a dish, so he has to have a special cup beside a sink(which he loves to sleep in) to drink from. Ah Maine Coons so adorable and quirky. He also loves to peek around corners at you, meow, run into the bathroom, jump into the bathtub and then peek his head out to see if you are watching.

Attached Files:

7. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >> He's eating potatoes right now....Weird...

8. All cats love dairy products, but they'll get sick and poo everywhere if they get enough into them so you shouldn't let them have it. Sometimes for a treat when I'm feeding my kitty I throw in some captain crunch with his dried food, he adores cereals. My other cat was over 40lbs before dieing at 12 years old.
  9. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    You can give them lactose reduced milk (Lactaid).

Like (adult) humans, they don't produce much lactase enzyme, and thus are "lactose intolerant" as a result.
  10. Neat, that's really cool to know.
  11. Maine Coon cats really are funny cats. They're so much like dogs in the sense that they love attention--completely opposite to my tabby.

Speaking of my cat, she has weird tastes, too. She loves graham crackers, cheese... practically any food that has a pretty strong taste--I've noticed she doesn't like foods with subtler tastes.
  12. cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Cats are individualists and can have strange preferences. I had one that loved strawberries, and another that ate olives out of my hand.
  13. I also used to have this hair conditioner that if I layed on the ground and my cat would ever get a sniff of it he would latch on to my head with all four claws and rub his nose all over me for a good 10 minutes. There would be no chance of getting him to let go....
  14. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Do not feed cats onions, they are toxic. Even fairly small amounts of onion or onion powder can cause a severe form of anemia in felines.
  15. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I read felines can't detect sweet flavours (some genetic fact). That's part of the reason why they live (in their natural savage environment) on an all protein diet. Strange they have a taste for ice cream. I tend to think it's because of its texture, not of its sweetness. And be careful with feeding your dogs too much sugar, there are some vision related pathologies associated with excessive sugar in their diets.

16. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    My cat eats oranges.
  17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    My cat (part Siamese, part uh...somethin' white... :ninja: ) loves water too. He is very VERY vocal, he will start "talking" to me the moment I walk in the door until I turn the water in the sink on. He also does that "peek around the corner, look at you, then go to the bathroom and wait" thing, while "talking" about how he's being ignored...

....cats have very distinct personalities, like little people. :)
  18. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Unforutunatly, some aren't nice. A big yellow cat that lives in the neighborhood killed my kitten yesterday. :crying:
  19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

Dude, I'm sorry man...that's one of the reasons my cats are always "indoor ONLY" kitties.

20. Its not normal for cats to eat oranges.. mine got all squinky eyed from getting near the peels, the fumes were almost like onions make you cry...

But he did like almost anythiing we'd eat. So he'd come over and try to sniff the orange, but backed away, figured the acidy smell must have irritated his nose, sinuses or something.

He LOVED strawberry quik, wouldn't drink milk after that, wanted the whole enchilada... Popcorn, spaghetti, Thai chicken fried rice (hot!), mashed potatoes. he'd eat broccoli or cauliflower if there was cheeze on it. Pizza. Any form of meat or gravy that we would eat. Chicken. Fish. No shrimp though.