Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My cat is ill

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vorago, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Well, my cat has a problem with her kidneys. They seem to be not functioning all too well. We noticed because she stopped washing her back, which resulted in a bad fur hygiene, and something that looked like early rastafari dreads. We went to see a vet, who told us that it could be either the cat being obese (not being able to lick her back because the fat is in the way), or a kidney problem (the kidneys are situated on the lower back so washing that area would hurt). The chances of a kidneyproblem were smal, because my cat is only 2.5 years old, and kidneyproblems are only frequent with old cats. They did a bloofproof, and the kidneys are the problem. She now is on a special diet, and she seems to be better, but it still sucks, bigtime.

Anyway, I really really hope she gets better. I know that loosing pets is part of keeping them, but I'm not prepared to loose her already.

Wish her luck.

2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Did you feed your cat salty or very mineral rich food\water? I've heard that canned tuna contains minerals that damages the cat's kidneys in the long run :(.

Anyway, good luck!

-Erlend

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    No I don't, she has a plate of rainwater in the garden, and she licks water of the leaves in the garden.

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

check your cat food label very carefully... some of the larger maunfacturer's food contains harmful additives .
    manganize {sp} is particularly bad for cats , dosen't depend on the age of the cat either ...

good luck and best wishes ...

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    vorago, i hope she gets better

:)

6. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Hope you cat is okay.

The guitar player in my band had a cat who had kidney problems. Poor thing would pee every 30 minutes. He would drink about 3L of water a day.

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I had to put my mom's cat down because she was peeing all over the place. Her diet of wet food had caused her bladder to become filled with crystals, think tiny bits of broken glass. They could have done surgery to clean her bladder out, but the diet could not be adjusted- she had no teeth. So the surgery would have helped her short-term, but would likely return in 3 months...
    Poor thing was hurting so bad she would avoid her box because it hurt to pee. She got to the point where she was having to go every 30 minutes to an hour, and would sometimes cry as she was peeing. I felt horrible about putting her down, but she would have been in the same place in 3 more months, and she was older, thus the vet told me recovery from a second invasive surgery like that would have been more difficult, if she even survived the surgery the second time at all. :bawl:

8. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    BTW- check your cat's food for both manganese and ash content. The lower, the better on both counts.

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    update: she's better now :) She is on a special diet, which she hated at first. She has the choice between eating her diet and hunting down her own food, so she (obviously) chooses for the first option.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    that's great!!

11. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Great! How is her weight?

12. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Err...I have no idea, last time at the vet it was quite good, and she doesn't seem to have lost weight, so it's ok I guess.

I'll try to get another pic online in a couple of minutes.

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    if she's doing the kitty stretch.....she's just fine!!

:D

14. Glad she's doing ok... But looks exactly like my cat that died of kidney problems. After reading about the zombie dog thread, I'm tempted to come over and get my cat back.

Did you get the cat from humane society or mad scientist of some sort?

Randy

15. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Looks like my cat Bob!

16. What's your cats name Vorago?

17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Well, she is registered as Minoe (which is basicly the most cliché name for a cat you can imagine) but I call her Noet, after the Egyptian Goddes, pronounce with the /u:/ as in Food = /f u:t/ .

18. Interesting. So that would be pronounced as in:

Has she been spayed or noetered?

Randy