1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My cats are blackmailing me!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 5, 2006.

1. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    The two little bastards have figured out that whenever my wife or I put the baby to sleep, they can meow and we have to feed them. "I'll do whatever you want, just DON'T WAKE THE BABY!" :( They literally go right to the baby's door and meow...

I can't leave food out because they'll get sick and so I'm now feeding them six or so times a day. :eek:

Their cuteness is wearing thin.

:help:

Marshall

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Just be random, sometimes you feed them sometimes you punch them in the face. They will be so confused on what to do.

3. You have evil cats.

My cats were eager to please me. Squirt guns do wonders for behavior modification.

But actually, I think they just don't like having the door closed. Crack the door open so they can get in, they'll lose interest. Any suddenly closed door must be investigated and explored. It may not be too late, they may not really have figured out the blackmail angle yet.

Example: I thought my cats were fetching. I'd throw a ball across the basement, they'd bring it back. I was on a rug in my bare feet, they just liked sitting on the rug instead of the cold concrete floor. Once I moved off the rug, they stopped fetching and dropped it on the rug. You may be reading more into their behavior, but if you keep feeding them when they yell at the door, you'll train them to do that soon enough...

Randy

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    the face man...

Just think, uh uh! i can meow and get food or....

Bam right in the kisser! Bam right in the kisser! Bam right in the kisser! Bam right in the kisser! Bam right in the kisser! Bam right in the kisser! Bam right in the kisser! Bam right in the kisser! Bam right in the kisser! Bam right in the kisser! Bam right in the kisser! Bam right in the kisser!

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    He's right. Squirt guns will be your best friend!

6. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Bam right in the kisser!

7. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    ROFL!!!

8. You don't even need a good squirt gun. The ones you have to pump a few times before they squirt good are perfect. Soon they'll run when they hear the sound, and you don't have to even load the gun with water anymore... :D

Also, scotch tape sticky side up works wonders for keeping them off the counters. The second time they think about it anyway....

Randy

9. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    We tried the squirt gun method years ago for some other unwanted meowing and all we got was more meowing and a wet cat. At the time, I chalked it up to the cat's stupidity; maybe it just had more will than me! I'll give it another go though...at my wit's end here.

I've also been using a laser pointer to make them leave the door and chase it to another part of the apartment, but that's losing it's effectiveness.

We didn't let them into this room pre-baby either, but you may be right. The only problem is I'm afraid to open the door even a crack with my super-light sleeping baby.

M

10. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Oh, I'm getting there.

M

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just spray them straight in the face. Seriously, they can handle getting sprayed everywhere else, but they get it when they get it in the face.

12. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA

Maybe I should started a "what water gun should I buy" thread? Noticeable pump, decent range, minimal spillage appropriate for indoor use. ;)

M

13. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Cats are evil little buggers, eh?

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    A squirt bottle that you can use for your hair works.

15. 336th_firefighters_300x.

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Some of you won't like this, but Airsoft guns work. I don't even have to use it anymore. They can just see it, and they know to get out.

17. Don't forget the cat nets if you leave the door open.
    Don't let your baby get smothered!

I was just thinking of getting a kitten. You've reminded me there are downsides......

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

If you have to worry about your cat smothering your baby, you've got a REALLY evil cat, and I might suggest you use a water gun loaded with holy water.

Besides, everyone knows that cats can steal a baby's breath magically...and thus can steal their souls. :)

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Pets love food.

20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

At this point, I'd like to publically state that MAJOR METAL is one of my all time favorite posters. This post only reinforces my feelings.