Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My CD liner notes: your opinion

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JimS, May 26, 2002.

1. Yes, put "MD"

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No, don't put "MD"

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. I'm working on my CD's liner notes. It's mostly me and one of my partners. We're both physicians and unsure whether to put the "MD" after our names on the liner notes where we credit the performers.

I don't want to be pretentious. On the other hand, if people think I suck, then they'll say, "It's OK, he's a doctor trying to be a musician" as opposed to "This guy is a full-fledged musician? Egad, what next?"

So what do you think?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    On the one hand, you are a doctor, and did earn the right to put MD after your name. On the other hand, being a doctor has nothing to do with music. That said, I would put it in.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    How do you introduce yourself at a party? "Hi, I'm Jim S., M.D." or just "Hi, I'm Jim S."? Write the same way in the liner notes. Your profession should have nothing to do with your music, but if you (rightfully) call yourself "M.D." in everyday life, by all means include it.

4. I never introduce myself as "Dr." socially.

I will use "Dr." in a setting that truly calls for it: with a patient, new medical staff, hostage..er...business negotions with managed care companies, etc.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Why not? I would. A friesnd of mine who isn't a Dr calls him self Dr. On his bands demos he would be Dr. Wayne Banner, Doc Wayne, Doc Scheiderman, Wayne Banner MD. He's a seflf proclaimed Docter of Drums. Why not? If someone listens to you CD & needs a Dr, they might give you a call. ;)

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Have you noticed that you never see CPA, MBA, PHD, or Esq. after the names of anyone on CD covers? I think Doc Kupka of Tower of Power and Peter Cetera have PHDs in music, but they don't cite it on the album covers.

That said, I'd put MD on it. Why not start a new trend?

7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I wouldn't put it on there -- it comes across as pretentious. Maybe I'll start using the letters N.D.B.G.A after my name (Hategear, N.D.B.G.A.).

;)

No Degree, But Good Anyway

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That's your answer right there.

9. Thanks for your opinions.