Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Challenge

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Jul 12, 2005.

1. I have decided, to challenge myself as a bassist and a person, to try to do something I deemed possible only in my dreams.

I'm going to learn as many songs (hopefully all) off the top 200 songs for rock bass. I know but a fraction of them, and it will take me years, but I will do it. Wish me luck! :bassist:

2. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
    Where can I find this top 200 list? Sounds like fun.

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I want to know too. I was thinking about doing something similar.

After a quick google search, I found this . It may or may not be what f'nar is referring to, but it's a decent list anyway. :)

4. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Wow!! What a cool lil' list! Can't say I agree with all of it (Larry Graham-Hair??) but will definitely bookmark

Another fun thing to do is dial in a radio station and start playin' with whatever comes on. Used to do this a lot when I was bored. Haven't thought of that in years

5. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
    Cool, thanks.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Nice find! A lot of those songs are REALLY hard.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Cool list, I think it's awesome that it wasn't "The Hardest bass songs" but the best bass lines (flashy doesn't equal good).

Good luck... you'll need it. :D

8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Wow, good luck, I can play some of them, and I'm working on YYZ right now, and all I can say is eh, good luck :D

9. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I like the idea and the fact there is a list....

but....

I guess I'm partial to some of the song ranking. "Would" by Alice in Chains (a song that I like) is on the list.... yet, to my eyes, there is NOTHING by Stone Temple Pilots.

Compare for me Mike Starr and Robert DeLeo as respected bass players in rock history.......

Yeah. Definately not a perfect list. Even a couple of Nirvana songs would be more fitting than "Would". "Lounge Act" for example.

Still, it seems fun. I saw a song or two that I used to jam to a long time ago that I forgot all about. "The Grudge".... that takes me back :cool:

10. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    i'm gonna give this a shot....

got number one out of the way already :D

Edit: and schism too...

11. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm going to learn all 200 of them!

God I love that song.

12. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    WOAH! :eek: man i didn't even notice that one. that is a sweet song...

13. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I'm sorry I don't gree with 2 minutes to midnight being 87. I'm trying to learn that song right now and it's frankly kicking my arse!!!!!
    I did something like this with all the weezer albums. I forget almost every song now. It was fun in my first year or 2 or playing. Now I'm moving on to Iron Maiden songs. It's kicking my arse so much!!!!

14. Just a thought. Instead of 200 rock songs, try top 40-50 in different genres. You'll end up a much more rounded player. Get R&B, Rock, Urban Jazz, ????

The idea is to practice things you're NOT comfortable with, not things similar to stuff you can already play.

Randy

15. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I like to try to learn songs from REALLY different genres from what I listen to normally.

Listen to some world music. Try some African Mpaqanga music, like from Johnny Clegg & Savuka, or Ozzidi music from Sonny Okosun. Or an Israeli Hora. Or maybe some Klezmer. That will open your rhythm sense up for sure.

IF that's too ambitious for you, look for different feels that are readily available locally, maybe Reggae, maybe Country, just something you would not ordinarily do or listen to.