Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Cirrus got to go out and play...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CYoung, Feb 22, 2006.

1. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    A bassplaying buddy of mine has been itching to try out my Cirrus (4 string, bubinga, the original USA made ones) in a real gig. I met him at the bar, case in hand, to finally let him test drive my pride and joy.

I was lucky to get it back.

Now, mind you, this guy's two main axes are a 1973 Jazz bass (he is the original owner) and a late 70s Rickenbacker 4001. Even with those two as his base (or maybe even bass :>) line for comparison, he was still blown away.

What seemed to shock him most was the near effortless ease with which the bass played and the very defined and articulate sound. He had no trouble adjusting to the longer scale.

I guess the best compliment was after the gig..."You ever want to sell that, you let me know, ok?"

Just thought I would share.

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

haha, cool... any pics of your cirrus? I love bubinga.

3. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Let me see if I can dig up a pic or two and attach them here. I too like the color of Bubinga wood and its warm tone.

4. I always love to hear people that are blown away from Peaveys bass guitars... They get put down alot, but actually are pretty killer IMO.

-ryan-

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm so excited.
    My 6 string bubinga Cirrus arrives tomorrow. I get to gig it on Saturday!

6. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Funny follow-up, my bass buddy is already on eBay trying to find a Cirrus just like mine. Apparently, playing mine gave him GAS really bad for a Cirrus of his own.

I think a Cirrus in the company of a '73 Jazz, and a Ric 4001 is a nice stable of basses!

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Ive been seriouly looking into the Cirrus line lately. What are the advantages of bubinga over walnut (walnut being the lowest priced) or some of the other woods they offer? What style of music/sound do you play?

8. keneds

keneds

Feb 18, 2006
    London Grove, PA.
    I myself am expecting my new cirrus to be delivered any day now(unfortunatly I can't afford a USA model because I have too many other expensive toys and the wife would kill me because she thinks theres no reason to own 6 guitars) but from what I've been reading I'm still in for a treat! The case alone set me back $192.00 . I also ordered the Bubinga top, so if you have any pics I would love to see them!!!!!
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :bassist:

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Here is a pick of a bubinga top Cirrus.

[​IMG]

10. keneds

keneds

Feb 18, 2006
    London Grove, PA.
    Thankyou very much !!!! The picture of the Cirrus BXP4/Bubinga top on the sam Ash website appears to be alot lighter in color but I still like the look.

11. keneds

keneds

Feb 18, 2006
    London Grove, PA.
    Is there a noticable difference between a 9 volt active bass and a 18 volt bass? I have an ibanez soundgear and I'm calmly awaiting my cirrus but I'm curious to what to expect.:confused:

12. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Noticeable? Yes, IMHO. Dramatic? Not to me. I have four 18 volt and two 9 volt basses. The 18s seem to be quieter and have less interference from flourescent lights and such. The tone controls seem a little more responsive throughout their entire sweep on the 18s.
    Honestly, I think it has more to do with the other aspects of the preamp design than it does simply with preamp voltage.

I think you will love the Cirrus.

Kim