Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Cirrus just arrived !!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Papersen, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Hi everyone. I just wanted to share my emotion, coz I´ve just received my
    Peavey Cirrus 4 (Maple/Alder). It´s used but in flawless condition.

It´s been a risky move for me, since I´ve never been able to test this bass (it´s impossible to find one in my country). I based my decision on the numerous reviews here on TB, some audio clips, and the kind advice of some fellow TB´ers (such as Secret Donkey, Supernaut, Brad Johnson and mgood, thanks guys !!!).
    Living so far made the challenge even more difficult (value, shipping, customs and several etc.)

A short review:
    It´s a real modern sound, very detailed and with plenty of highs (not harshy).
    The construction is superb, very well crafted. The playability is also great, a wide neck, but quite flat, so reaching higher frets and E string is quite easy.
    Extremely suitable for slapping and tapping with lots of tones to choose from (I´m still trying to find my favourites).
    I´m pretty pleased with Peavey VFL pickups they have a great output and are very sensitive (time to refine my technique).

Here go the pix and some short testing clips.

Papersen

2. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Pic 1

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, man.:) Sounds like you are not disappointed with your purchase. If your experience is anything like mine, you will love your Cirrus more and more, the longer you play it.

Enjoy!

4. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Pic 2

5. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Hi Embellisher. I think I´ve read all of your comments about your Cirrus. And yes, I really love this bass.

Clip # 1

6. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Hi Embellisher. I think I´ve read all of your comments about your Cirrus. They were very informative and useful.
    And yes, I really love this bass.

Clip # 1

7. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Clip # 2

8. rugrat

rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    I love my Cirrus too!

9. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Last one

Clip # 3

(not very good sounding)

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That has a really nice slap tone.Congrats.

11. looks good, I have the 5-string version of that and am very happy with it.

12. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    I´m still trying to find the "right" tone for fingerstyle playing. It´s not so punchy as the slap tone. I´m looking for a bit more of attack in the mids and hi mids.
    I´m planning to get a new set of strings and tweaking the knobs a little bit.
    Suggestions anyone ?

13. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I find that a slightly harder attack, and pickups panned towards the bridge (not necessarily all the way) gives me the mid/hi mid punch I need. Depends on the way you play and your amplification, though. You could try boosting mids with the midrange knob, though it's not set very "high" in the midrange.

Learning to vary your right hand technique and combining it with the right pickup pan really pays off with a Cirrus. As you said, very sensitive pickups.

14. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Congrats, and welcome to the club! Same wood combo as mine, too!

I've had best results with leaving the tone knobs all flat and moving between the neck and bridge for tonal variety. I try to adjust the low frequencies on my amp for the particular room I'm playing, but I'll fine tune a bit by adding or subtracting just a bit of lows on the Cirrus. I'll also roll off a bit of the highs if I'm accompanying acoustic geet@rs, to make things less attack-y (but you're looking for *more* attack, so that won't help you, I suppose).

It took me awhile to get used to the sound of the Cirrus, and a few poor decisions about what to do with those tone knobs. I'm totally digging the sound I'm getting now, though. And I agree with Embellisher -- the longer you play it the more you'll like it.

:)

15. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Hey guys! I just got my Cirrus fretless 5 yesterday...it's sweet! The tone is VERY different from my Skyline fretless so I'm going to keep 'em both. I love the body shape of the Cirrus. It's so comfortable to me.

I just ordered some gold knobs (smaller size ones) from the Carvin site to replace those rubber ones. I got the bass used and the knobs looked a little chewed up. Besides it will be cool to have knobs that match the tuners and bridge.

16. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    :) Congrats Papersen on your new Cirrus. Nice looking also. :bassist:

17. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Nice looking bass, great slap sound. Enjoy :)

18. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Hey welcome to the club! I've been playing a Cirrus since 99, and I can't get enough of it.

Since you're still looking for new sounds on it, this is my standard setting: pickups both on full, bass boosted slightly, mid cut VERY slightly, and treble right in the middle. Sometimes I'll activate the neck pickup a little more for a deeper sound.

I hope you enjoy it! It's a great bass!

By the way, what kind of amp are you playing through?

19. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    wow! im quite impressed with that tapping clip. looks like a great bass...enjoy

20. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Thanks for the advice, I´ll try those settings
    this afternoon.
    BTW, I´m playing it through and Ampeg B-100R.
    I find it suitable for this bass since it has no tweeter and doesn´t overacentuate hi freqs.

I guess Brad Johnson had the same bass / amp combination.

Here´s another clip (last one I promise)

Papersen