My Classical/Jazz Mp3s - from 1996!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Hello good bass pals,

I was at my mum's place on the weekend and found a tape, (yes that's a cassette) of a duo I did for about a year with a brilliant, self-taught, classical/jazz guitarist I know called James Watson - in 1996. We both saw the John McLaughlin duo with Jonas Hellborg and were massively inspired by the dynamics and range of what they did – bass with classical guitar - obviously we weren't anywhere near their level - but James' unbelievable playing and determination pushed me to my limits and we ended up making some good music - even though I was still only just grasping the ways and means of improvising.

Bearing in mind these recordings were made almost 10 years ago I think my playing stands up but is not beyond criticism - I just wish my tone was better - plus I doubled up on chords a lot of the time so there aren't many basslines here – and yes, the tape to PC transfer means these are a bit hissy – so apologies again for that; but it was an amazing learning experience and we did a load of great gigs together. Our first one brought the house down at our local pub and when you do that kind of thing in front of small audience of say 50 people - it's even more thrilling. James is now a fulltime classical guitarist and I can assure is a lot, lot better than on these recordings – he’s completely self-taught and is one of the only people I know with total musical recall – he can hear an entire guitar suite and have most of it memorized by the end.

I hope you enjoy some of this - I'd love to do something like this again:

Tango Suite

McLaughlin Suite

Blues In E

Like Someone In Love (stunning arrangement by James)

Thanks for listening

2. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    Great stuff. I enjoyed the McLaughlin Suite i haven't yet met a guitarist that would even think of doing anything slightly jazzy.
  3. Thanks Chimp - I know loads of jazz guitarists - so there you go.

4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    :eek: amazing. that geetarist is pretty sick. I'd LOVE to hear what the two of you could hash up nowadays.
  5. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Dude!!! quit your day job:D this is magnificent:hyper:
  6. Thanks guys

I think you'll find a lot of AMAMZING musicians have to keep a day job these days - fame and fortune aren't natural successors to ability and taste...James is phenomenal and was an inspiration to me back then - we even had a version of Teen Town that was pretty killing, unfortunately we never recorded that.

Glad you dig some of the this stuff, this was a really cool duo and I miss it but it was hard times for me and I needed to get a job and better paying gigs so I moved on - I still know James and I muts get together with him again.

Cheers for checking it out

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Dude, That is scarry, 1996, you must be giving Victor Wooten lessons nowdays! :D But serriously, every time you post something, I'm inspired to woodshed, allthough I must admit that when I listen to my playing in the late 80's (progressive christian rock band)I here things I can't do today. I have had the opportunity to play with a couple of gutiar players at that level and must admit that its hard to concentrate whan they solo. Theres one cat I've played with in church here, Shawn Vine who just breaths chord melodys, unreal, I can't think about that many notes at one time. He was in New York and sat in with Joe Pass, HE'S THAT GOOD. in fact Joe took hem to Rogers shop the next day and he ordered one of Rogers archtops! How did you transfer cassette to MP3? I have some old stuff I'd love to be able to burn disk of.
  8. Well thanks man, it's all very cool of you to say this - I am getting so much better all the time - perhaps it will add up to something big soon - I son't know and I don't really care - this duo (the clips above) was something special but it didn't last long and not many people heard it then - we did do a lot of gig but we both had a lot to learn about putting on a show etc.

I do give the odd Vic W lesson these days but I have few regular students - but I'm still learning and improviong loads - I hope to one day realise my bass playing at a higher level - in the meantime I have a shed load of practicing to do myself. James was a major inspiration for me then and a still is today.

Cheers for checking it out

9. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Can't get over that performance of 'Like Someone in Love' - stunning!
  10. Thanks David - that was all James' doing - his brother Tristan spent 5 years at Leeds college studying jazz guitar and even he said his tutor would have given James an A++ for that - I'd hazard a guess that James is one of the finest musicians I've ever played with. Trouble is he lives back near my home town of Stroud so there's no chance of us doing stuff on a regular basis now - I'd love to use my fretless with his classical guitar - it'd be awesome!

Speak to you soon dude

11. I find it hilarious the song is titled "Blues in E", and yet it's in Eb. That tape must be really old or something. :)
  12. Hi Geoff - the tape is old (like 9 years old!) but it was definitely in E at the time of recording - promise - so I don't know what's happened there...

By the way matey - Jasco have been making some new recordings this week - and they sound wicked - I'll let you know when they will be available for purchase.

Thanks for checking this stuff out