My (close to) perfect work bench surface

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tonynoriega, Sep 22, 2005.

1. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I bought a rubber-like yoga mat at a yard sale for a dollar and use it for working on my basses. I simply roll it out on a table long enough for the body of the bass to fit, and the neck conveniently rests on the elevated part that is still rolled up, keeping the tuning keys from contacting the table. The mat is inherently non skid in nature and keeps the bass from moving around, and also, parts don't roll off of it either and my dining room table is protected from falling tools. I hope this is useful to some of you.

Tony Noriega, Tampa
  2. Cool idea. Every bassist should have a dedicated pad to use when working on their instrument. I have two that are 1" thick neoprene rubber foam - very dense but soft - and I've made a removable neck support that fits in a slot in the padding. I can move it up short or out towards the end of the neck depending on the bass or where I'm doing the work.

I'm also using the anti-shock flooring they sell in squares that lock together as a pad on one of my work benches. This is a different type of foam (urethane?) and is a bit denser but equally non marring. It makes great sanding pads too.
  3. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Kitchen table? Is there still enough room left when the carburator needs fixing too?
  4. You've got room on the kitchen table for a carb? Lucky man! :D
  5. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Where did you get these,Hambone?
    If I could get something similar,I'd stop paying BIG $$ and I'd made my own neoprene-padded straps,profiled exactly as I like!
  6. Unfortunately they came from my Father-in-law, who was in the commercial boiler and insulation biz in New Jersey before he died. He was also a packrat :hyper: So I acquired a bunch of this in various shapes and forms and I've been using it as I needed for several years.

You might try suppliers for things in that realm if you still want some.
  7. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Hmmmm....this is what I was afraid of.... :meh:
    Do you happen to have a link of a web dealer for thick neoprene?
    Thanks! :)
  8. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Sorry to barge in, but some creative Googling got me this:

Not a recommendation, just Googling. Good Luck