1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My complete guide for Tech 21 VT Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EmaTheMirror, Nov 5, 2020.

1. EmaTheMirror

EmaTheMirror

Oct 9, 2009
    London, UK
    I'm going to use the forum as a shameless plug :D but hopefully it will be useful for the community:

I just created a complete review and guide for the way I approach the VT Bass and the SansAmp Character series by Tech 21, because I sometimes see different approaches for this versatile product and I'd like to share my experience I got through the years, especially in relation to the way the Character and Drive control work in relation to the EQ:

(this is also a way for me to start using my YouTube channel more consistently, so please "like" or subscribe if you like it, for more content)

@JimmyM (and @tech21nyc obviously) since you have a great knowledge of this pedal/preamp and of tube amps, I'd really like to know your opinions and feedback about what I said - in case you have the spare time to watch, of course! :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    G-Lol, Smooth_bass88, Briton and 6 others like this.
  2. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I look forward to watching the video...being a long time Tech 21 BDDI pedal user and more recent to the VDBDI

I am still finding good sounds in this box and not totally decided on its' best application....Used in my punk band with distortion...which I still Love the BDDI for...

The VTBDI also makes a very nice preamp running into my BB800 Quilter

EmaTheMirror likes this.
  3. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Oh God
    You know I meant VTBDI

4. EmaTheMirror

EmaTheMirror

Oct 9, 2009
    London, UK
    Lol, no worries, it wasn't even a risky acronym.

For my video I used a Deluxe version, but what I explained is valid for all models, as I talked about how the main controls operate and what I personally think is the best way to approach them to avoid what I sometimes see in other reviews (i.e. it sounded "better" bypassed) and read here or elsewhere regarding the way it behaves across different scenarios.

You obviously know that on top of what I said you also have a blend knob and a bite switch. If you are mentioning punk and such, I might suggest to start with the bite on, then you can approach the blend in different ways: I'd start with the blend all the way down (or "off") for warm break-up or clean tones and gradually try blending in some signal that is not passing through the "character", if needed and depending on context, room, etc - I did talk about this in the video as well.
    Otherwise, you can also start the other way around with high character and drive settings and gradually blend in some dirty signal the other way around...

Don't use your eyes too much to dial in your tones anyway.

I'm quite positive you'll enjoy the VT if you like the Bass Driver, anyway.

P.S. tip for things that lack a Mid control, like the BD: turning down Low and Treble and compensating the level does act as a way to bring the midrange forward.

murphy likes this.
  5. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Yes...I had a Deluxe BDDI...but one foot switch got bent and I thought I could not replace it

I think I threw it out in a move

But love my stop box pedals

Anyway...I am much looking forward to trying your settings and fully review your video...with a like

EmaTheMirror likes this.
  6. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I’ve been a VT Bass adherent since its release (recently added the VTDI to my go-to V1), and I look forward to watching your discussion.

DaveDeVille and EmaTheMirror like this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    My house is in chaos with major remodeling so it'll be a little while before I can watch it.

EmaTheMirror likes this.
  8. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I’m a bit distracted today but it’s not my house that may be remodeled ;)

JimmyM likes this.
  9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I've been leaning towards the VT Bass 500 head for my next purchase and this makes me feel more confident because the pedal sounds so good.

EmaTheMirror likes this.
  10. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    I have a VT 500 head, does this pedal have the exact circuitry as the amp does?

So I guess the settings would be similar.

jeff7bass likes this.
  11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I thought that was the goal. At least according to the Sweetwater which says, "Based on the popular SansAmp VT Bass DI pedal".

EmaTheMirror likes this.
  12. EmaTheMirror

EmaTheMirror

Oct 9, 2009
    London, UK
    The core character concept and voicings I explained in the video should be there, that's the purpose, although I have to admit I have not tried the head so far.

jeff7bass likes this.
  13. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I dint use VT pedal , but I own both the VT 200 and 500.
    The VT500 front control more alike VTDI which has blend knob but no character swift button.
    The character knob with swift button on my VT200 combo work better flexible to me.
    When swift button engage, the voice in SVT scoop character; meanwhile the swift button off, the overall tone has great low mid and thick tone.

The blend knob on VT500 is add-on VT tone colour without changing your bass own tone, but the VT200 just give you instant bake-in tone.

Clark Westfield and jeff7bass like this.
  14. EmaTheMirror

EmaTheMirror

Oct 9, 2009
    London, UK
    Yes, according to Tech 21's own website, the Character switch in the 200 combo shifts the frequencies effected by the character control - if I remember correctly, someone analysed the frequency response of the VT Bass across all settings and the Character has a noticeable effect on the 500 Hz range for the original version.
    Both the 200 and 500 also have a switch button for the mid knob too, which if I'm not mistaken shifts the cut/boost action of the mid control from 500hz to 1khz.
    It is possible (but I can't confirm) that the character switch in the 200 shifts likewise.

However, there's a key difference between the character and mid control, which is explained in my video.

What I said in my video still goes fine for those products too - then you have a few more options to play with on top.

15. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    All I know is the sounds you were getting from that pedal, especially the warm fuzzy and roaring proggy, were great and I hope they're attainable with the VT 500 head.

EmaTheMirror likes this.
  16. EmaTheMirror

EmaTheMirror

Oct 9, 2009
    London, UK
    I'd say I'm positive, as the switches are variations on top of the original pedal design.

jeff7bass likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021