Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My computer is acting up, advice?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Melf, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I left my computer on for an hour while I went out to a cookout with my friends. When I came back, it had a blue screen that said, among other things, Unreadable boot volume, and that it wouldn't let me into windows to prevent damage to my computer. I tried restarting normally to no avail. The same thing happens when I try to start in safe mode, and it won't read my boot disk. My XP Pro cd is at home, 3 hours away. Does anybody know what's wrong with it, and if so, how do I fix it? To make matters worse, I have a paper that I spent hours on yesterday on there:bawl:

2. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Sounds bad. I suspect that you will probably need to toast it :(. In regards to your paper, you could try taking the hard drive out of your machine and installing it as a slave drive in a working machine. If it's only the boot sectors/records that have become corrupted you may well be able to read some of the other data off the drive. Good luck!

3. A few things:

1) How old is this computer?

2) Operation system?

3) amount of RAM and processing power (mhz or ghz)

4) What brand?

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Sounds like HDD problems to me. See if the hard drive info is correct when the computer does system check in boot, if it shows wrong it might be broken disk. If it shows ok, the HDD might be ok but the boot sector might be corrupted.

For booting, go to BIOS and make sure that first boot device is Floppy and second HDD and get a boot disk with chkdisk(chkdsk?)-program.

You should be able to boot from proper boot disk at all times, so there might be something funky going on with HDD and floppy cables and ports if it doesn't work..

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Get an XP install disk from someone, choose "repair" then type help, then type the command the mentions rewriting the boot sector. Did you make any drastic hardware changes? EG, putting your old HD into a new machine.

6. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Gah, in my first post, I meant to type Unmountable boot volume instead of unreadable.

Garrett:

5 Years

Windows XP Pro

128 and 300 Mhz

Hewlett Packard:)hmm: )

Tsal, where can I find a chkdsk program to put on a boot disk?

Blisshead, I haven't put on any new hardware or software in a month and a half. I'll try out your advice tonight; I have a friend with an XP Pro disk.

I just ended up retyping the paper:mad:

7. enzyme

enzyme

Feb 4, 2003
    My advice:
    Reformat
    Reinstall windows

If it won't your HDD has **** itself.
    Buy new HDD
    Reformat
    Reinstall windows.

8. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I was able to fix it! I went into repair windows and did chkdsk /r

That did the trick.

Thanks for your advice, gentlemen.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Glad it worked out for you Melf.

10. XP pro on a 300mhz 128mb... you're brave man! :eek:

11. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    More like adventurous;) It works out pretty well, only problem is the 5 minutes it takes to boot up:p

12. Hah, I've done it on a Pentium Pro 200 with 64mb!

Actually, I threw a 7200rpm hard drive and 512mb into the same machine later and it was reasonably zippy! I switched back to Win2K though.

--jeff

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    make a bomb out of it.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

We have XP Pro loaded on both of my kid's computers. Celeron 400 with onboard video & sound, 128MB. Runs pretty good, just takes all day to boot up.