Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Conklin Subcontra Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Jan 12, 2006.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    for those who recently inquired about my Subcontra Basses and The Conklin and since there's not really any pics of my Conklin Subcontra Bass I thought I'd post a pic(this is from Conklins site(I have yet to get pics of my own yet,seem to be a little to busy to take pics)

The Body is Korina
    maple purple heart neck
    Gaboon Ebony FB
    satin finished Hipshot Hardware
    Custom Bartolini pickups and electronics(to my specs)

here's a few more pics
    http://www.conklinguitars.com/facebass/4gallery/4sub.html

Attached Files:

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Is this one strung up C#F#B E or EADG an octave below standard tuning? And is it a 34"?

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Bryan it's C# F# B E and it's 34"scale

4. JohnnyRook

JohnnyRook

Jul 1, 2005
    Hi Jauqo!

Nice sub you got there :)
    Well, mine is still in the planning phase but I'm really looking forward to it.

And I've got a ton of questions for you :smug:
    Why did you chose Conklin over Adler this time? Just for the collection or any particular reason? Had the singlecut design of your last sub any technical purpose or was it purely cosmetical (Rod would love to hear this, he hates my singlecut fantasies ;) )?

Where did you place the position dots? Standard or the 3rd fret as virtual zero position (not the case on the Conklin fretboard, I can see that :) )?

I already asked you about the J-style PU's and I appreciate your explanation. But during your R&D phases, have you ever tried a humbucker in the 'sweetspot' position?

Last but not least: are there any other particular do's and dont's about constructing a subcontra we haven't discussed yet? No need to re-invent the wheel...

cheers

-JR

5. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    What are the strings and how much do they cost?

Can a regular bass be strung with these? (with relevant nut alteration)

6. Cool.

Id love to hear sound clips :)

7. AndreasH

AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    Sweden
    34" on a subcontra bass? That sounds kinda weird. People has always told me that 35" is the best for the B-string.

8. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    The bass is beautiful in its simplicity ...... the music coming from it is amazing! If you haven't had the chance to check out Jauqo's playing, do so as soon as possible ..... you're in for a treat ...... :cool:

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

I've had my Conklin Subcontra Bass for a while(I have a very long going relationship with Conklin)I didn't choose the Conklin over Adler at all I like both versions but from my research etc I think I prefer my neck thru double cut a way and the single cut versions because they seem to allow the bass to breath a much clearer response in the very very low frequencies of bass,especially the single cuts.all of my Subcontra basses have the same body,neck and FB material(Mahogany,maple purpleheart and Gaboon ebony.Karina is in the mahogany family)My very first Subcontra Bass which is made by Scott Surine and Scott Loftquest has a 35" scale but my Adler's and the Conklin are 34" scale,The Surine,the Conklin and my fretted Adler has Bartolini pickups and electronics while my fretless Adler has Villex pickups and a Auguilar 0B-3 pre in it(as a stock pre for my Subcontra bass,for great Bass enhancement the 0B-3 is great)The Conklin Subcontra bass is the only Bolt O version that I have and it responds very well and the bass response is top notch as well as clears that are very Hi-Fi but with a mild presence.
    I chose Mahogany as a body wood because of the way it responds to bass(very even and overall well balanced)the neck woods because of it's strength and stability and it's ability to balance out a certain clarity that I was going for and that's why I also chose Gaboon Ebony(because it's not as bright as Maple and not as dark as Rosewood,which I felt would have muddied the bass response)me and Bill Bartolini worked out out the killer electronics(as well as me and William Villex)each one of the luthiers and electronics maker involved respected my concept and never doubted my choices of material that went into the construction of this Concept.the position dots on the Surine are like that of a classic Jazz(as in the pic below)my fretted Adler has no dots on the front of the FB and the Fretless Adler only have dots on the side.
    the reason I don't choose humbuckers for my Subcontra is because of my body wood choice,I believe the lows wouldn't be the type of lows that I was shooting for originally(super clear lows in the 17hz area)J basses seem to allow the perfect balance for this concept.as far as do's and don't I would respectfully like to say,make sure the neck is not to thin(a certain thickness of the neck helps bring out clear lows)and to put extra emphasis on a very good solid neck(a little more strong and solid than that of a good non Subcontra bass neck and be very careful of the body wood you choose,because the wrong body wood will not give you a good bass response in the extra low frequency.

Attached Files:

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    it's not wierd at all.the 34"scale works for me(the Luthiers talent has a lot to do with getting that perfect low B(or below)to respond clearly and not floppy.

my Subcontra bass concept is diferent from what some people refer to as a Subcontra bass.most Bassist refer to a Bass with more that 6 strings as a Subcontra Bass

I can only speak for myself,years ago while working on my Idea/Concept/Theory of the Low C# and F# string I thought that since this was going to Be a Bass that would go lower than the Low B string found on the 6 string Bass B E A D G C(Often referred to as a Contra Bass Guitar,meaning lower than the standard 4.the word Contra Bass itself is usually associated with the Upright in Classical terminology)I felt that it was the most logical name for such an Instrument

For sound bites of my Fretless Adler Subcontra bass(and it's 34"scale)

http://jauqoiii-x.com/JK_pages/JK_music.html

11. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Just curious (I can't hear the clips at work, but I'm sure the its not fuzzy), what kind of amp are you using with this bass? Its hard to hear anything (maybe my ears stink), past my low B, to me it just sounds like rumbling.

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Yes I'm sure there may be some rumbling because of the size of your(computer)speakers

for the recording
    I used a Basson 510 cab with a Demeter VTBP-201 preamp and Crest(at least 4500wts)power amp

13. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    the clips are playing but i can't hear anything :mad: ..:(

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    do you mean no music at all or the Bass.
    I listened to the tracks before I posted the link

15. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    that 'Track 5' is really trippy (creative use of feedback is awsome)
    Sounds nice. Low, but clear and not too muddy (and I'm on head phones right now)

16. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I'm not hearing anything at all... it's all good, i'll figure out what's up.

17. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Me either.
    Damned crappy office computer speakers... even the subwoofer just gives up and ignores that subcontra bass.
    I'll have to burn it all to CD and play it through my real system at home so I can hear it. :D

18. For those of you who cannot hear it, I will tell you one thing: the sound of the bass will cause things to shake. It is remarkably clear for being so low, which really surprised me. Here're my takes on the sample tracks for the curious:

Track 4 was very ambient.

Track 5 sounds very "out there" in an interesting way, especially the "talking" that's going on between the bass and drums.

Track 6 is the grooviest track up for sample.

One thing that I felt from all of the tunes, was that they all sounded as though you could see them in a spy film. They're each very ambient in a cool way.

Maybe that's just me though :smug:

Definitely some cool stuff, Jauqo.

19. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Ok, I went to the cd baby link and listened to the samples.... sounds killer just as i thought it would. Bada$$ stuff.
    Peace

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Thanks Guys