Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My contribution to the General Instruction World

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Matt Till, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Sheet music can be tricky. What with all those lines and spaces. In the bass cleft, the spaces are ACEG and the lines are GBDFA. Having trouble remebering this... here's a little rap ditty that will help you remeber...

A
    Crazy
    Evil
    Gangsta

Ghetto
    Bin Laden
    Da
    Funky
    Arab.

You're welcome.

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    :confused: Uhhh, that was enlightening Matt... ;)
    Seriously, I find that you have got to know the lines and spaces without thinking about it, but when your learning using a little phrase to help you remember is useful (what is the term...theres a term for these types of things...) I have always just thought about the lines and can get the spaces from the - I have always remembered: Good Boys Do Fine Always for bass and Every Good Boy Does Fine for treble...but your is more...something.

3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    It's bass clef, not cleft (cleft is like a messed up palate or something). Just thought you might want to know. :)

I learned ACEG as "All Cows Eat Grass" and GBDFA as "Good Boys Deserve Favor Always".

I think the second helper is a spin on the treble clef's "Every Good Boy Deserves Favour" (which is a decent Moody Blues album, but anyway :) ).

I have to agree with Creepy though. This needs to be automatic, you can't be playing and have "OK, that's the third space, so All Cows Eat . . . Oh, OK, I have to play an E now!" going through your head for every note.

At this point I'm starting to find that my eyes and fingers having a direct connection, where my fingers are playing the note before my brain has consciously determined the name of the note I am looking at. Of course 99.9% of my music reading so far has been in C Major so I'm starting to get used to it after 9 months lol. :)

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Clef... sorry, typo. I'm in a fundamentals of music class right now, if he would have caught that he would have instantly marked my post incorrect. I failed a test because I didn't put a G on a couple of staffs. I understand it's really important to know that it's a treble clef, but those two questions cost me 30 points. :spit:

I am having trouble with reading. But I haven't been reading much of the bass clef because of this class. It's discrimination I tellz ya. Ugh, music is too hard. I should just quit.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    All Communists Eat Grain

Good Baking Demands Flavor *******

hahahaha:D :(