Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My control plate idea

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by avast_bass, Mar 6, 2006.

1. So... I've been thinking about how to wire the electronics on my new bass for a while now, and I have come to the following point. Does anyone see any problems here, or thought of anything I've missed out?

I intend to have both DiMarzio Model J pickups, running to the control plate. There will be a volume control pot for each pickup, and a tone for both. This will have a small switch beside it. With the switch in ON position, the volume pot will be active. With the switch in OFF position, the signal will be routed directly to the output, bypassing all pots. So there will be 3 pots, 2 with switches beside them, acting as on/off switches for the pot. This way, I can bypass all pots to get the true, untouched pickup sound. Some would argue that when pots are set fully open they are fully bypassed, but i do not believe this to be entirely accurate.

I will be using PEC pots. The reason for the whole pot bypass is that I have become slightly disillusioned with the quality of pots, and the amount of tone that is lost by their presence... especially since electrical instrument manufacturers tend to use bog standard low quality pots in even higher end instruments.

I know that the difference wont be 'that' great, but i just want to build the ultimate sounding bass.

(sorry for posting this, just kinda excited about the idea)