Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My cool gear hauler car

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by funkycarnivore, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Okay, so it's just an econobox, but my new Toyota Matrix is really useful for carrying gear. I previously had a 95 Nissan 240SX--nice car, but my 410 cab kept crashing into the windshield when I would brake. This car gets around 30 miles a gallon highway and it fits my Ashdown rig in the back without even folding the seats down!
    Here's the car. I got the windows darkened to make it hard to see what's inside.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hey, that's cool. I wanted one of those too...does your gear still slide around? I heard that the floor is plastic and slippery when you flip down the seats.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the matrix is ok, but what happened to the 240sx? i've got a 90 hatch. did you have a hatch or coupe?

i can fit a lot of stuff into my hatch, including an upright bass :D

4. It was the S14 body style--same as the Silvia in Japan/Europe, so no hatchback available. I drove that car for a long time and it was nice but I got sick of having no space for anything. I'm used to small cars though, so I didn't want to get a truck. This was just right.

The cargo area is plastic and stuff slides around, but my rig fits in there pretty snugly. You can buy a carpeted cargo mat for it too.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah i'm always fuzzy on when the s13 s14 crossover is.

i really like the S14a's, with the evil looking headlights. and i'd give up a first born child for a J-spec s15 silvia. :(

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i dig the matrices...awesome cars...i kinda like the pontiac vibrators and the mazda s5 (?) as well for gear haulers. neato stuff. my 2000 eclipse gs just ain't cool for gear duties.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Or a real Skyline. None of this G35 crap.

Nice Matrix, funky. I know that they are just trying to appeal to the on-the-move 20something demographic, but I'm falling for it. I like it, and I like the Vibe, too. (I wonder why...) Do you know what the legal % tint is on the front windows in Cali? Here in Illinois it is 0. :( A lot of people do it anyway, but the last thing I need is another ticket.

8. Yep, you're not supposed to tint the front two windows here in Cali either, but there's plenty of more "offensive" cars in the El Lay area. I got the 35% light transmission tint on the back windows and the 50% on the fronts (zero on the windshield), so hopefully the front ones look normal.

I woulda been alright with a Vibe except that the front end makes it look exactly like a mini-Aztek. Also that gray plastic body stuff that Pontiac likes to put on the sides. It'd still be a great gear hauling vehicle.

I thought the G35 was a pretty nice ride until I saw the back of it--made me want to throw up!

9. Hey I have a 64 Chevy Van that would haul the whole bands gear. I'll sell it for $500. It runs like a dream looks like a nitemare. Interested?

10. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Cool, I've got a '76 chevy van. Bought it for $900 painted it myself. Still goin' strong after 2 years.

11. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Nifty car. I still havn't started to learn:(

ps them songs on your mp3 site are good so far (as in whats d/l'd)

12. I didn't paint mine but my wonderful uncle got some brite red paint and put "mystery machine" on both sides!!

Oh yeah if you want to buy it its free shipping if you come get it!! haha (bring a trailer)

13. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Mystery Machine:D hehe.

Oh yeah, Hey funky that is a very nice gear hauler BTW. I'm sure it's a much nicer ride than mine.

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the g35 sedan is pretty ass, but the coupe...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and supposedly we've been confirmed on a VQ33DET engine (3.3 litre twin turbo v6) for the upcoming REAL skyline GTR. it's still gonna be ugly, but it'll be fast :D

15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Believe it or not.....in the BACK seat only of my truck (extended cab Ford F-150...not the 4 door, the smaller extended), I have fit my Goliath Sr. 6x10, 6 space loaded rack, a Marshall 4x12, 2 basses in the hard cases, and some other small misc items :D

16. My '97 Mustang cant fit much gear at all (small trunk and backseat), but I kick everybody's ass in town with it....so i dont mind :)

17. I use my wifes car on gig nights to haul my gear. Its a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 (not unlike the Matrix I believe). I get my entire Eden rig and both basses in the back (with the rear seats folded forward), plus all the extra little goodies, and can still carry a rider up front. And it too kicks butt on gas mileage. Not a bad factory stereo either :)

18. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    My guitarists parents have a Pontiac Vibe. We usually use it for gigs. Put down the back seat and it'll sure hold a lot of gear.

19. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

that's one of 3 options for my next car (it will be my college graduation present to myself) they are:

[​IMG]

SVT Focus

[​IMG]

Mini Cooper S

[​IMG]

Subaru WRX Wagon

all tons of fun to drive, and all can fit my rig no problem.

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    By upcoming Skyline, do you mean they intend to give us one in the states?!

BTW- Go with the Subie. No one ever suspects the wagon. :D