Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My cool roommate's not-so-cool girlfriend

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Mar 11, 2003.

1. So yeah, my roommate's been going out with this girl since about halfway through last semester, and they're still together. That's great, and I'm happy for him, but she...kinda sucks.

She used to be a great person, was really cool to hang out with, and I got along with her fine. But somewhere around the end of last semester, she basically moved into our room. Honestly...I was ok with that, and I still am, in principle, because I can understand how much they want to be together and what not, because that's how I was with my girlfriend when we were together.

BUT, lately things have been going on that really aren't too cool, mostly about her. My roomie seems to understand and realize that while it's great to spend so much time with his girlfriend, the two of them also need their own space. He likes to play computer games from time to time, and she likes to read magazines. However, she never reads her magazines when he's playing computer games. Whenever he's playing computer games, she's bugging him to talk to her, or tell her stories, or whatever. When he's doing homework, she wants to spend time with him. Then when she's doing homework, he respects her needs, and he'll try to help her if she needs it. Otherwise, he pretty much stays out of her way. She reads her magazines at times when he's free, and can afford to cuddle with her and whisper sweet nothings into her ear, or whatever the bloody hell she wants from him. But recently, she's been getting a little out of line with a lot of things.

It's gotten to that point where my roommate and I are looking for housing for next year. At first, he was doing most of the looking because he was going to move off campus with a few of his other friends, when a space opened up for me. He seemed to have things under control, and he had already found a few places, so I just sort of...went along for the ride. I didn't feel great about it, but he already had it figured out. Well, the place we found was OK, but nothing special, and the bathroom kinda sucked. But, the four guys who were willing to live there didn't really care.
    Then two nights ago I was asked by one of the girls on my floor who I hang out with a lot if I would accompany her in the morning to the place where she and some of her friends were looking to stay next year. I figured, "why not?" Since I didn't really have anything else to do.
    So I took the time to wake up three hours earlier than I otherwise would have on a regular Monday morning just to accompany her to the bank and then to the apartment building to give in the down payment on that place. I was also to be used for any translation from English to Chinese and vice versa if my friend and the Chinese manager couldn't understand each other.
    While there, I bumped into a friend of mine who actually worked in the manager's office, so I started talking to him about the 2 bedroom apartments that they have there, and he said they were really nice, so I asked if he could show me around one of them for me to tell my roommate and his friends about.

Well, after that I decided I liked the place and my roommate would too, so I picked up three application forms - 1 for me, 1 for my roommate, and 1 for the other guy who would be living with us for sure. I brought these back to my dorm room and gave them to my roommate, as well as briefing him on the basics of apartment.
    Later that night, his girlfriend comes in and asks me about that place. I tell her what I told my roommate, and she decides she likes it too, and wants to move in. So what does she do? She takes one of the applications that I picked up for myself, my roommate, and my roommate's friend and starts filling it out! Now really, that's not too bad, and I can understand if my roommate said it would be OK, but seriously now - I went very much out of my way to get those things, the least she could do is ask me for it, and I would gladly let her take one. If my roommate had gone in the morning to pick them up, then it's no problem for her to just take one, because she just takes his stuff a lot, anyway. It's the way their relationship goes. But he didn't, I did.

But, that's not all.

Today after class, I picked up some food and brought it back to my dorm because my roommate and I were going to check out the apartment together, and probably put in the down payment, just over an hour after I got back, and I had to pick up my application from my room anyway. So I open my door, and I'm greeted by my roommate's closet door with his towel draped over the top. Then from behind it I hear his girlfriend's voice saying, "Ad? Hey, can you give me a second? Ok. There. I just didn't have a shirt on, that's all."
    I mean...really now...she knows what time I'll be coming back, because she was there when my roommate and I discussed what time we would do everything, and what we would do before going to check out the apartment to make sure we had everything ready. She doesn't even legally live in our room, and I have every right to kick her sorry ass out whenever I see fit, because she's not paying for our dorm room, and our RA wasn't notified that she'd be spending oh-so-many nights here. She really has no right to be in here, aside from the fact that she's going out with my roommate.

Ugh. So much crap going on in my room lately, I'm surprised I haven't snapped and literally kicked her out yet.

More updates on this will be put here.

Sorry guys, but I just had to vent even more than what I'd already put up online.

2. Oh right.
    I'm using much stronger language in my web journal thingermerjiggery. I don't normally swear much, if at all, so I only do it if I'm seriously ticked off, or if I feel it will enhance what I'm saying. Which is usually never, unless I'm with one or two friends who really can't say anything without swearing at least once.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I would not move anywhere else with your room mate. Maybe a nice guy, but who knows how long his relationship with MS. I DON"T UNDERSTAND PERSONAL SPACE will last. If you end up on bad terms with her, guess how long it will be before your on bad terms with him....

4. agreed

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    so wait - did she grab the application because she assumed she'd be living with you and your roommate?

girlfriend + boyfriend + a third party living together is a recipe for BAD NEWS! you need either tell her, or tell your roommate to tell her that she can't live with you guys next year.

6. Or that you can't live with them. Jason is totally right there.

7. Listen to this, Sheepy. Too true.

Good luck.

Mike

8. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Iam right now sitting at my computer cringing because my singers damn girlfriend feels she should be at our practice - but not in the garage where we practice, but in the house. Then when we are done she hangs on him like a frikkin leach! NOT to mention that she brings over all her damn friends who are SO annoying and eat up all the food and mess up my room! Aside from all of this she controls the hell out of him. She has made a list of demands that he stops smoking, swearing, and WEARING RIPPED-UP CLOTHES! She is ridiculous. He has tried breaking up with her at least two other times.

There is not one relationship between any of my friends and their sig. others that I wouldnt love to see come to an end.

9. Hmmm...

Well, she grabbed one because she's going to be moving into the same apartment complex as us, just not the same apartment. But then again, they think she'll be sleeping over in our place a whole lot.

Which really makes no sense to me, why don't they just move into a single bedroom apartment together? Why screw with another roommate's privacy and personal space, when they've already screwed with mine enough? Chances are, most other people won't be quite as tolerant as I was, and am.

The 4th official tenant isn't too sure if he'll be moving in with us or not, though, which all depends on whether or not he gets into the USC film school. If he does, then 2 things:
    1) he's good at that "film" stuff
    2) he's going to be the one who has to put up with my roomie's girlfriend.
    If he doesn't, then that means 3 things:
    1) he's not "good enough" to make the USC cut
    2) he won't be living with us
    3) the other guy is going to have to put up with my roomie's girlfriend.

And while I'll have some more personal space in that situation, I still don't know how well I'm going to take it after going through 1 1/2 semesters of this junk. But either way - I will have 1/4 - 1/3 more say than her about what goes on in the apartment, which is more than enough grounds to kick her out.
    Hell, my roomie can go sleep in her room more often, because she'll just be down the hall/up the elevator. I just might have to propose that, much as it'd suck for HER roommate...but whatever. It will cease to be my problem, which I feel I've put up with for quite long enough.

10. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Heres a suggestion: Tell them to get a place together and you and her roomate get a place together...sounds good to me!;)

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    dude, kick her butt out the door. if he doesn't like it, tell him he needs to grow up too.

this isn't anything new - the first year kids are away from home they pull this stunt all the time - playing at being "grown up". this sounds like something that's actually getting in your way and violating your space. another part of being a grown up is respecting those around you - sounds like your roomie and his girlfriend have to learn that lesson.

12. Got a match ? If so , light that biotch on fire !

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Snatch her ass in a bear trap.

Orrr... become MORE annoying than her times four... she'll be begging to leave.

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yeah. Just start hangin' out, around the apartment, NAKED. That ought to have one of two effects on her, either of which will result in her imminent departure! :D

15. Dude, I like your style.

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hey - I never said I'd do that. :D

17. Somebody's got poor self-image...don't they fix that in Guitar Craft?

;)

18. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    There's only one thing to do in a situation like this:

Move in with your female friend that lives on your dorm floor.

:D

19. :eek:

Well, JT, you have a good point...but I dunno. Next week is spring break, and both of them will be away, so I'm going to have the whole room to myself, and I'll be sharing the floor with maybe three or four other people. Now that will be nice, and it'll be a whole lot easier for me to think straight without her nagging in the background or anything, and I'll hopefully figure out what I'm going to do about it.

As for walking around naked...well...I dunno. I tend to walk around in just my boxers a whole lot, and that doesn't phase her. Plus, she seems to be fine with changing her pants in the room without a worry about my presence. But really...I don't want to see that, she doesn't have a very pleasant body. And while I'm not a shallow bastard like that, if there's going to be a naked girl around that I'm not involved with in any way, who has no second thoughts about it...I would much rather her to be a better looking individual. I dunno. She's in the room right now sorting stuff out before she goes to meet my roommate at the practice rooms, so I can't really think about it too clearly. It's like her presence clouds my thoughts with discontent, or something.

20. Arsenic in the food is usually the best way . Or a knife in the ribs when she's asleep .