My cork is coming loose! (on my AMT)

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by J. Brunka, Jun 24, 2005.

1. J. Brunka

J. Brunka Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Mo'town, N.J.
    I picked up a used AMT S25 a couple of weeks ago and love the sound. Unfortunately, the cork has come loose on the clamp that holds the gooseneck. Now everytime I put on the mic it slowly falls down until it is up against the bridge, completely useless.

I tried calling Marty at AMT, but he is out of town for a while. I am planning on calling the "home office" but was curious if anybody else has had this problem. Also, any ideas on a quick fix. I thought about using super glue to reattach the cork to the metal frame of the clamp. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
  2. Lemon

May 9, 2005
    doublesided tape ?
    there is a special one wich is on a glossy brown paper roll.

it leaves a very sticky rubbery tape after you remove the paper.
    with that it wont fall off any more. and if you want to remove it you can use 70% alcohol.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

On a bass finish? Probably unwise.
  4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I think he meant that the tape would go on the clamp.

What about some leather glued on the clamp where it meets the bass? I think either glove leather or a nice, thick piece would do the trick.
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Putting this stuff on the clamp would work quite well. Also, well-cured rubber glue would work as well. The cork won't slide off of the clamp with either.
  6. Lemon

May 9, 2005
    "On a bass finish? Probably unwise."

Of course not on the Bass !!!!

well as a not native its some times hard to nail the point.

but that tape is really the best doublesided tape I know of.
    most glue gets hard and brittle after drying.
    that stuff stays flexible.
  7. J. Brunka

J. Brunka Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Mo'town, N.J.
    Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I ended up just getting out the crazy glue. I took the corks off and cleaned everything and then a little worked fine. Used the mic and was complimented by the band leader about my sound. It was the first time I was playing with him.

It might dry out and come loose later, but I will deal with that.

As far as the tape looks like that is what was on the cork previously. I can't be sure without talking to Marty at AMT, but when I looked at the cork completely off of the clamp the adhesive seemed very even and spilling over at only one end as if the tape was a little long.

Ray, the leather idea is a good one. That is what I have on my repair clamps. I like the cork better as it provides more cushion and thickness. Maybe they should make it with leather covered cork?

Thanks again,