Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Corvette is killing me

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by the feebler elf, Apr 21, 2005.

1. After years of trying to decide whether or not I wanted to own a Warwick, I found a new Corvette at a fairly good price, so I decided to pick it up.

Now, maybe this is just the nature of the beast, but it's a lot harder to play than any bass I've owned. It seems as though the Corvette requires twice the pressure to fret a note. I'm using the same strings I always use (D'addario XL roundwounds), and the action is similar to my other basses. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about. I love the bass, it looks nice, it sounds dreamy, but it's killing my left wrist, and I'd hate to have to let it go......any thoughts? Thanks

2. It could be the tree-trunk-esque neck.

3. Your nut could be cut too high?!

4. I always liked the fully wenge-necked Wicks, but even the ovangkol-neck ones played fairly easily. Sounds like somethings out of whack. I'd have it looked at.

5. Try taking full advantage of the million different ways you can adjust those bad boys. It sounds like you should start at the nut, but there are so many other angles you can adjust that it's hard to say. Are you using the same strings on it as your other basses? That can make a difference too.

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I find the neck to resemble a P bass depth with J spacing.

To the original poster, if you are having trouble with your initial setup I would suggest paying a professional. To me it sounds like the nut screws are to high; is this a Just-a-Nut 1 model (brass) or a Just-a-Nut II (plastic)? I would start there and then check the bow of the neck.

7. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    I recently sold my Streamer LX5...no matter what I did it was never going to play as well as my Stingray5. The problem with Warwicks is they require a REALLY good setup to play their best. Since they offer so many possibilities for adjustment it is really easy for it to play horribly if even one slight adjustment is out of whack. I finally got my LX5 to play almost as well as my SR5, but I had to set the action about .5mm higher than on my SR5 and yet it still buzzed on a few frets. I suggest first checking the bow of your neck, and possibly lowering at both the nut and bridge if necessary. If that fails, do what some other guys said and take it to a professional. If you still can't get it to play easily for you then you may have to do what I did and just sell it. I learned the hard way by not spending enough time with the bass before I bought it...blew $1,500 on it..owned it for less than a year, and sold it in new condition for $800, ouch :crying:

8. The problem(or at least part of it)may be the angle of your left wrist- if it's very different from what you're used to, it could be causing discomfort, which makes it feel to you like the bass is harder to play. I have a custom 6 string, & when I first got it the position of my left wrist was a bit uncomfortable. I was worried that my 'End of the world bass' was going to be unplayable, but I eventually became comfortable w/it. Compare left wrist positions of the two basses- just a thought.

9. You know, that is a possibility. As a result of the small body, the bass hangs differently. Even after strap adjustment, it still hangs slightly differently. The weird thing is, I used to own a Corvette RockBass, which was quite comfortable, of course the neck was a lot thinner. I'm confident that my set-up is okay, as I've spent a lot of time adjusting and re-adjusting, and testing different combinations of nut, saddle, and bridge height - and the relief of the neck is not excessive. Perhaps the combination of neck thickness and bass position is making me think it's harder to play than it is........Thanks

10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I own a Corvette too, and although I admit that it is not the most conforable bass around I don't have the problems you have.

Go to a good luthier, you probably need a descent setup and he'll know what to do.

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    From a previous owner, I'd have to say that's just the nature of the bass. Going to a Spector NS4 from the Corvette was insane. I couldn't believe I didn't have to struggle to play it. I loved the sound, looks were decent, but it was just a pain to play well. I'm not sure about the ultra-high Warwicks, but most of their models I feel that way about. Sucks, cause they just sound great, IMO.

12. fenwickbacker

fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    I have some problems adjusting to my Corvette fretless, as well. Not as comfortable (I think the earlier comments on neck thickness and the way the bass hangs are correct). Also, my output is much lower on this bass compared to my others (all passive, too). Maybe it's the flatwounds on the fretless compared to roundwounds on the others. Is that possible?

13. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I also own a corvette fretless, and after almost 6 months of owning it im just now seting it up how i like it. Finicky lil guy.

14. mrelwood

mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    Finland
    Do NOT file the nut before the neck relief is correctly set up! You will probably end up with a nut filed too low.

-First, lower the strings at the bridge so that the highest frets (15th and up) can barely be played without buzz using a light touch.
    -Then check the bow of the neck and adjust tussrod so that the lowest frets (1-5) don't buzz too much.
    -Now You're ready to set the nut.

-Aki.