1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Craigslist Ad

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Apr 30, 2010.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/muc/1718294563.html

2. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Very to the point is good.... but I wouldn't pass on this one. To clinical. Playing music is fun... this sounds like going to class. Non Smoker prefered... if I smoked I would be like F you.

That is just one man's opinion.

3. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    Do you need an 8-string bassist? Seriously, It sounded as if I could've penned the majority of that myself! I think you can convey the "Fun-Factor" during the phone interviews. Good-luck and have FUN!

X8

4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Sorry but cig smoke totally grosses me out. I can do without it. If the prospective member has an F you attitude, I can do without them too.

I am already in a relatively successful band so this is more of a side project.

I personally hate ads that say

"Need bassist. Must not suck"

and thats it. I like more info.

Hopefully, *HOPEFULLY* my ad will attract highly detailed people such as myself, and their playing will reflect their attention to detail.

I know, I know... its CL so not that likely. :atoz:

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    yeah I did mention having fun was the most important thing, but it is fairly long-winded.

IME, people will ask for info that I have explained. When you get 10 or 20 responses to your ad, repeating the same thing gets old fast.

If the response to this is weak, I can always delete it and re-do it more concisely.

6. nealw

nealw

Sep 9, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    If I lived in vancouver (and wasn't a bassist) I'd answer that ad. Far more professional-sounding than 99% of atlanta's cl posts.

7. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I had good luck with bandmix.com. Don't know if they service your area.

I think the kind of people you are looking for will get it. I think
    the ad will filter out the people you don't want. Or a good
    portion of them anyway.

Good luck with it.

8. I'd answer that ad, but only if I thought you really meant it...

So no problem, if it scares anyone away, its someone you don't want to play with anyway. That by definition is a successful ad. The purpose of that is to maximize the GOOD responses. Not to maximize the responses with a bunch of guys that are totally unsuited to what you're looking for..

Great ad.

Randy

9. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I've gotten about 4 responses so far... such as:

Seems to be working. :cool:

10. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I would immediately respond to this if a) I was in the area and b) I played something other than bass

11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    +1

I liked it.

12. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    My impression (I've read and answered lots of these ads) is that this is a startup project with a name (not a band as you say), and a lot of wishful thinking.

As to your "vision", I sub on bass in a band just like that ... good dance music, and we don't consider anything the audience wants to hear "below us". And we make money doing it.

Personally, I'd pass, and I suspect most stage experienced players would, too. But you may get lucky and find some guys who are better than they think they are ... ;)

13. ForSix

ForSix

Jul 22, 2008
    You make an excellent point when you require that a musician serve the song.

In my 50 year career, I find that the thing that separates bands who work from bands who whine about not being appreciated is the bands who work play the song, rather than use the song to show everyone how awesome they are.

The crowd doesn't care how awesome you are, they want to hear the story.

14. maybe a tad wordy for openers.....maybe some of that stuff could be saved for a follow up e mail forwarded to those who answer the short version of the ad.....imho.....ymmv....etc

15. Bassist: I like the ad - you clearly state what you are looking for and you make it clear that you're the boss right up front. Cool - let us know how it goes.

16. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Good luck, keep us informed about your progress.

17. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Good luck with it, and glad to hear you're getting responses.

But I've got to say my own reaction is that it's a little overdone. When I see these ads to start bands, the first thing I do is scan through to see how much of a band is already in place -- if it's two or three guys trying to round out their membership, that's good, but if it's just one person who doesn't have any bandmates at all yet, all that planning (already having a band name, a song list, a business plan) comes across as a lot of pipe dreams. It also raises the question of whether you're going to let other people shape the direction of the band or if you're a control freak. I mean, what if there are people who like the kind of music you want to play but don't like the name "One Awesome Inch?" Is that negotiable?

If it's just one person wanting people to help start a project from zero, I'd rather hear something more casual -- "bassist looking for musicians to start a covers band, 3 years experience, hoping to play mostly popular 50s-60s classic rock and country hits." Something like that. That way it doesn't sound unrealistic.

18. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thanks for the post. I'm a pretty easy going guy. If someone can come up with a name I might like to hear, I'd love to hear their suggestion. So nothing is set in stone. However, I dont want to 'argue' about a name forever either.

A big part of the reason I posted this on TB was because I wanted insightful posts like yours.

19. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Torin,

One thing not stated stood out immediately to me: as the leader, you will provide PA for rehearsals and whatever gigs require the band to haul one, right? IME that provides much better leverage for you, and attracts a much better caliber "sideman" player. Also, I'd try to state a realistic time frame until your first paying gig if at all feasible.

luck,

----CE

20. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I like the details, and the very clear roles spelled out for both you and the respective musicians to play. Personally, I think a little humor or self-deprication would make you sound a little more approachable, as it feels a little clinical. As a potential responder I'd want someone who sounds fun to work with, in addition to someone who's motivated, experienced, and well organized (as the rest of the ad conveys).

Also, I tend to agree with hrodbert696's take that it may come across as a little premature to have everything worked out down to the band name when you're still a one man band.;)

Of course, one man's "premature" could read to another as "effectively planned."