1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My crappy bass sounds so dry and cold

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by storm10, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Like the title says, i can't stand the way my bass sounds it just sounds so dry and has no warmth in it. Its just a basic laminate bass that i purchased about a year ago. Not sure what strings it has on it, but i play jazz but i like to mess around and play some arco sometimes but thats just me messing around at home. So are there any string choices for jazz that will bring my bass to life and sound somewhat decent.

edit: did some searching and here is kinda what i've found
    Spirocores- modern jazz standard, warm sounding after break in period?
    Superflexibles- very warm sounding better playing arco compared to spirocores
    pirastro jazzers- lots of sustain

Thanks,
    Jared

2. musicman5string

musicman5string Inactive

Jan 17, 2006
    Spirocores or Heliacores.

3. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Do you know what's on it now?

Strings are just an endless subject--and so expensive!

Spirocores and Helicores have, to my ears, a bright, midrangy sound. They have a lot of sustain. The notes get a strong, percussive thunk of the front end and then long, blooming decay. Spiros are relatively easy to bow but have a scratchy sound. They are very loud, powerful strings. I have Spiros on my bass at the moment. Like a lot of players, I have kind of a love/hate relationship with them. They sometimes sound a little cold and twangy. Helicores sound very similar to my ears

You might like some of the synthetic core strings. Pirastro Obligatos have a softer, warmer tone and are great with the bow and easy on the hands. I had a plywood englehardt bass that really liked Eurosonic strings. You might try the black nylon strings that upton sells

Velvet animas are great in many ways--they have a warm yet bright, fat sound that's pretty unique. I had them on my bass for 10 months ad really liked them. They are very hard to bow at the beginning, but get easier as they get older. I may dump the spiros and go back to the animas. Downside of the animas is they cost a lot and some people find the windings wierd. They don't have the percussive attack of other strings, the thunk.

You might like a set of gut strings--but they're expensive an temperamental

4. I have no idea whats on them right now, at the bottom there is green with gold string spiraling down the green, and at the top there is green black gold and red E to G respectively. Sorry for the lack of precise terms im a newbie.

Jared

5. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada

Sounds like Helicore Hybrids

6. Da!
    I think he's a good candidate for Spirocores or Jazzers.
    They're the most likely to get some life out of his bass, IMO. (is my sentence correct? I don't mean he needs to get a life! LOL! Sorry for my poor english at times!)

7. conte2music

conte2music Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Dobbs Ferry, NY
    haha Spiros will sure give you some volume, and they are the reference string, so you might as well get some now.

8. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    If he already has helicores on there I'm, not sure spiros will be that much different. But it's true they are the reference, and you can't really go wrong with them

Some basses really like low tension strings--my old ply bass opened up a lot when I strung it with lower tension strings. My current bass seems to like high tension.

9. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Did it ever sound better than it does now? Yes, strings may move you closer to the sound you seek but in the end this might be like asking what kind of tires will make a regular sedan a speedster. Before you sink $$$ into strings, tell us more about the bass.

That being said, I'm surprised no one mentioned Dominants.

10. Yep.
    His profile doesn't even mention an URB.
    Does it have a good setup?
    You went to a luthier with the bass recently?
    How about soundpost adjustments?
    The action could be too high too.

11. Well i bought this bass from violins etc when i didnt know much about uprights so i just bought one that was in my price range the label inside says troubadour but i've never even seen that bass on TB so yea. I had a adjustable bridge installed and thats about it its never seen a luthier for any kind of setup, so i guess i need to get that done. My old bass teacher did say something about my fingerboard being mishaped and it was either a expensive fix or get the adjustable bridge and deal with higher action so of course i tried the cheap way first.

edit: the strings are atleast a year old, i bought the bass used but it was made in 2004

12. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Hmm-- adjustable bridge was "installed" but it's never seen a luthier? Now I'm convinced that the right course of action is for you to take yor bass to a qualified luthier, explain your dissatisfaction, and take his/her advice. I suggest that you not spend a dime on strings before doing that.

13. Sorry i wasn't thinking when i wrote that, i did indeed have this installed by a luthier infact he was recommended to me by my old teacher, Dr Buddo. But his name i do not remember...