Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My crossover just took up smoking...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by protoz, Feb 16, 2005.

1. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I was toying with my rack tuner today plugging it into my effects loop in the back so it wouldn't toy with my tone. Great grand right? Well I forgot I had it in the loop and plugged into the front mute channel to try that out and I started to see smoking come out of my cab so I shut everything down and unplugged it. Swiftly grabbed a screw driver and opened up my cab to a fog of smoke.

After the smoke cleared I checked all the wires and connections and the only damage that i have seen is my crossover below. I was playing on it a little before I turned it off so my amp is working and my cabs speakers all work. Here is the damage:

[​IMG]

Hopefully there is no further damage. I was planning on replacing my crossover anyhow...I just feel like a tard for doing this... :scowl:

2. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Update

No damage but the pot for the horn is toasted pretty good and is crunchy when I turn it. Plus I have less hiss now so besides the smell it worked out great

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm still a little lost as to how what you did toasted your crossover :confused:

4. Possibly the effects loop snafu sent the amp into oscillation. Did the family dog's ears start bleeding from a megaburst of ultrasonic frequencies?

5. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I am too.
    So the tuner was plugged into the effects loop and you plugged into the tuner's mute input? I don't get how that would fry any electronics?

6. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Oh and I had the front of the tuner plugged into the amp input so it was sending the signal twice effectively from the tuner.

I dunno how it did it but my room still smells :crying:

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    From the pic it looks like that the attenuator is fried. Are you telling us that is still works? If it does, I can't see it lasting long.

If it dies, they're not expensive to replace, but stay away from those cheapie 40 watt models. Try to find one with the highest wattage rating you can find, maybe something like the Fostex R82B (200w and US$35-40).

8. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Can I just not use it anymore? I never use the horn anyways or will the whole cab stop working?

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If you never use the horn, then don't worry about it. The rest of the cab is not in any danger.

10. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Awesome, I was afraid the whole thing would go up in smoke. I'll replace it eventually but it's not that high on my to do list to got that horn working.

Thanks for the heads up

11. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    should I unhook my Attenuator from the setup until i get a new one? I don't want any shorting out to occour while playing

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    oh.........that's bad, very bad. that must have sounded really cool too. don't feel too bad. sometime i'll tell you about the stuff i broke doing stupid things.

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You'll be fortunate if that L-pad isn't all that was fried. Personally, I'd take my amp in to be checked just in case, but that's me . . . I can't have stuff failing on me at a gig - if I compromised something, I'd want to know NOW instead of having it bite me in the rump down the road when I can least afford it.

14. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Well I have my Sunn in the shop now so I'll trade them when they finish looking at my other amp...stupid...stupid...stupid...

15. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used to tell my students that if they wanted to try plugging something in as an experiment and didn't feel like inquiring first, that they stick their finger in an electric socket instead . . . that'll teach 'em to go around plugging things in willy-nilly where electricity is concerned.

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I don't think there's a person on this board that hasn't done something like this at least once. Don't feel too bad. You live and learn.