Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My (Cry)baby's Dead

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NoisemakerD-Lux, Feb 21, 2005.

1. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    I took out an old Dunlop Crybaby that I bought 10+ years ago and it seems to be, well, dead. I kicked it a few times, and shoved it a little, but it didn't help. I get the normal sound come through just fine, but then when I switch to the Wah mode, I get the same clean unaffected sound. Does anyone know what's going on? I haven't used it in a couple of years, by the way.

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Have you checked the battery? After that long, it's bound to be dead.

3. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    I tried it with a brand new battery and an AC adapter.

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I don't know, but wahs are cheap enough now I would just sell that as junk to a shop (unless it holds some sort of vintage value) and buy a new one. Bench fee's are more than the cost of a decent used Wah nowadays. I see the Dunlop 105Q's used for around the $60 range, and I bought my vintage Morley PWB for $100.

Ted

5. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I'd buy a wah that allows the mix of dry signal. It's the main problem I've cound with a Bass CryBaby I had for a couple of years (totally crapped the lows).

ANDRUCA

6. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    I'm just going to throw it out. Money's not an issue. I'm just curious what happened to it. It worked fine before I put it in the closet 2 or 3 years ago. Maybe I'll kick it again.

Seriously though, I was never that impressed with it anyway. I liked it, but it wasn't anything that great. Maybe the new white models are better (haven't tried them), but what sounds bad (in what I read on this forum) is that their range sucks and that it never really goes all the way to the bottom. I don't want a Wah for rhythm playing, so I don't need a big bottom at all times. I'm primarily a solo player and spend as much time as I can in the high registers. I like Wahs that do the whole range and have a super wide sweep.

7. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    Well, as I wrote above, I don't want a Wah for rhythm playing, so the big bottom is not a concern to me.

I'm going to try that Weeping Demon Guitar Wah from Ibanez I asked about in another thread.

I am looking for a new high-quality Wah, however, and it'll probably take me a while to find what I like.

As for now, the dead Crybaby remains..... dead.

8. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Try a Morley then- I have a vintage Morley PWB that I just love. Some say the new Morley Bass wah isn't as good though.

Ted

9. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    what if you throw it out in my direction?? I'll pay shipping.

10. Budonze

Budonze

Nov 2, 2000
    the new ones arent as good, i used to have one and it collected dust for along time after that. I have a morley PWB too and its way better than the newer morleys, but apparently the majority of their pedals now are made full range, like the tremonti and vai sig models, so give them a try too if youre looking for a wah pedal

11. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I just bought the Weeping Demon wah. The adjustability on this thing is awesome! I haven't really played with it alot yet but so far I like it better than any other wah I have tried. The lows are clean and unaffected till you start getting on it. It has a really wide range. It also works killer as a "filter" so to speak.

Hopefully I will be able to post some samples soon.

12. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    I'm not really impressed with the sound on the new Morley. Just... not enough, if you know what I mean.

Everybody keeps saying that the old ones were much better, so maybe I'll look for a used one. For now, however, I'm looking for something new and different.

13. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yes, In know what you mean- most don't like the new one, but the last one that was discontinued people said sound good. I have one of the old Del-Ray built chrome monsters, and I haven't been able to fine a better sounding wah yet.

It seems there are two seperate camps in the "wahs" discussion- Dunlop and Morley.

Ted

14. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    Well, for now I'm going to have a friend look at it. He's a pro (electrical engineer). If he can get it working, I'll probably keep it.

Weird thing. I tried using it against last night and now the sound is totally gone when I switch to the Wah mode. Nothing comes out. It's fine in the Normal mode.

I contacted Dunlop and they said it'd cost a whopping $50 (flat fee) to have it fixed by them.

15. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    I'll definitely keep that in mind... thanks!

16. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    I'm glad at your positive first impression.

I ordered it online last night (have a bad case of flu and probably won't get out of the house until Monday) and it should be here in a few days. I'm really looking forward to it.

The features and adjustability on that thing are out-of-this-world. I did a lot of reading of guitar players' reviews on it and 99% of them absolutely LOVE it. Amazing reviews. A few mentioned the High and Low settings, saying that the High one is for the guitar and that the Low one is for any low-ranged string instrument, including bass.

Definitely write a review once you get a chance to better evaluate it.