1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My custom 210 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sundogue, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Here's a pic of my custom made 210 tiltback combo. I've had it for a while, and it had an Eden WT400, and was stained and poly'd. I just finished carpeting the cab.

It currently has a Peavey T-Max head in it (that just slides in, not attached...to make it lighter to haul). It's loaded with a Peavey Tweeter and two 10" BP102's.

I made it so it can accept almost any head, or a separate power amp and preamp, depending on my needs. The cover over the gap above the head is removable. In the pic it's sitting on a Peavey 210TVX. I also have a 115 BVX, so I have a lot of options for almost any gig.

Mostly I just use the 210 tiltback combo as my bass monitor. At larger indoor gigs, I sometimes add the other 210 cab, and outdoors I use it with my 115 and a different power amp (using the T-Max as the preamp (currently anyway...always subject to change :D ).

[​IMG]

2. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Sweet! Did you do the cab, or did you have it done? How can I get one?
    What's the cab's internal volume? I'd like one ported for a 15, if the volume is there.

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yeah, I made the cab myself. I did the whole WinISD thing, along with lots of help from the bass cab building gurus here.

I built it over a year ago, but recently played around with the tuning (ported in the rear with two 3" ports), and I added some carpet padding inside to work out some issues with some mid frequency issues.

The finish didn't hold up, so I carpeted it today. I like it much better this way. I like the contrast of the grey with the black hardware.

I think the cab's internal volume is 7200 cu. in. after taking the bracing and tiltback cutoff into account.

4. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Very Nice Job. i like to see folks get creative. I made my own a while back. I used an Ampeg B1R head that I got from Planet Boulder, and used an eminence that I had lying around.

5. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Nice job!! That would be 4.17 Cu Ft. Looks like a perfect candidate for a Kappalite3015LF. You could get alot better poop out of it loaded with two DeltaliteII2510's also. Would be a great upgrade down the road. Volume is about perfect for a pair of those also. Nice!! Wanta make another?

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Thanks. Some people don't recommend making your own...anything. But I make almost everything. I also made my own bass. It's more a matter of just getting what I want, rather than settling for just what's out there (for usually way more $$$).

I wanted a versatile combo. Most only allow for one head, whereas I like to have the ability to swap things out, ala separates, but within the combo setup.

How's yours sound?

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Thanks. I've considered other speakers, as the BP102's have pretty low sensitivity. On the other hand, when I have used the T-Max with my 115 and bi-amp, (using a bridged CS-800X for the BP102's)...it kicks some serious booty. As long as I use some horsepower they do great in an outdoor setting.

As they sit in the combo now with the T-Max head, they still kick plenty loud for me onstage by themselves. I never have to push the head much (master volume is usually at 1 or 2) to be heard easily. Part of that is the tiltback. It really keeps the sound directed at me. But I usually pair it with my 210TVX. That cab couples to the floor, and the combo on top gives me all I need for most gigs.

Even by itself, it handles most every gig I play except for the largest ones.

8. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Mine sounded pretty good, limited mostly by the Ampeg head.
    I wish i had made it with a 2 space slot, but I built it around the head, and for a specific use (monitor at church). When I moved from that town and had no gig, i sold it.

K

9. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Nice job. I need to tackle a project like that someday.

10. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Great job.
    Really nice , but it looks very heavy ?
    :bassist:

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The angle of the pic makes it a bit deceiving. It isn't all that much bigger than the 210 under it (except for the rack space added to it). It's not very heavy at all. The combo cab only weighs 53 lbs. The head weighs a ton (it's a Peavey...what would you expect?), but it slides in and out (it's not attached to the combo). I added regular steel drawer handles to the rack ears to carry it separate.

[​IMG]

Plus, I designed it so the cab handles are down low enough so that it is well balanced to carry. It's actually much easier to carry than the Peavey 210 under it.

I could add wheels to the bottom, but usually I bring my other 210 cab (which now has wheels), so I rarely have to carry my combo more than lifting it out of my car, or into my house or on the stage.Even though I bring my other 210 cab, I don't always plug it in. It depends on the gig.

12. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yeah, I wanted a versatile combo. I can use a power amp and a pre amp with it if I want. Then I can bolt the preamp to it, and slide a power amp in and out to keep it lightweight.

13. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The reason I decided to build my own was because I had blown out two speakers in an old 410, and bought the BP102's as a replacement not thinking about the ohms mismatch (I needed two 4 ohm speakers, and these are 8 ohm).

Then when I decided to build a cab, I though why not just make it a combo with enough space to hold a variety of different heads, power amps and/or preamps, or effects?

Almost all combos are designed around the head. If you don't like the head, you might be able to switch it out, but you are still limited by the design. Building your own means you can have what you want in it as your needs change.

14. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I re-carpeted my other 210 today to match my combo.

[​IMG]

In the following pic, it's sitting like a normal stack, and you can see a better comparison between the sizes of the two...

[​IMG]

15. JoshC

JoshC

Nov 19, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Nice, I like the gray carpet and black speakers. Looks real sharp. I should build a combo someday, it looks like a fun project.

16. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yeah, I debated going with black or grey, and I thought the grey with black hardware looked best.

I'm really liking the tiltback design. We normally play on smaller stages so we're never spread out very far. I'm almost always next to my amp, which is why a normal stack doesn't work as well for me (unless I stack up high).

It's nice to tilt it back on top of the bottom 210 cab. It projects right up at me and I can keep my stage volume way down. If the room or stage is boomy, I just don't plug in the bottom 210. If I need more bottom, I plug it in and it's coupled to the floor.

It was a fun...well, at least interesting, project. It was a lot of work, but like building my bass, it was a labor of love. I like that most everything I use personally, was built by me.