1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Custom 250 (DOD 250 Content) by Dennis P!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Mar 3, 2017.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Hey guys. So I wanted to take a min to share my experience and great appreciation for the DOD 250 circuit and the one I just had made my Dennis Pleckham. He's one of the guitarist from Bongripper. He doesn't have a name for his little operation yet. We spoke about it a little but there hasn't been any final decisions made about the name he wants to go under.

Anyway, I was put in touch with him through @bassmusic17 . He told me about a 250 that he built that it was really awesome. Me being a 250 lover, I thought, I want one. So me and Dennis talked it out for about a few days and figured what I wanted to settle on, box style, the color, knobs, circuit options, he really gave me options to work with which was great! He really seems to know his stuff when it comes to building circuits. It was really cool working with him overall.

He was really communicative and he had ordered the parts and my pedal was built within pretty much a weeks time. He does this work on the side. I am actually having a muff built by him now. I started this thread to show off his work for the most part and to get his name out there a little more. I know he's willing to do custom work for anyone who reaches out. So if you're interested, PM me and I can help you get in touch with him.

So, about that pedal! Here she is! :D (that's yellow powder coating)

He said it wasn't his cleanest work, but I think it's quite nice (that internal trimmer is for the overall gain *I'm almost sure that is what he had said it is* I leave it dimed regardless ;)):
    250 1.

And the fam:
    250 2.

Overall, this is by far and away one of my fav ODs of all time. I hope I can explain what he did to the tone pot on this correctly. I will add more specific info on this when I get home later today. He wrote out a manual of sorts for me for how the tone control and switches works, I will share that later. This is much more like the OG 250 as he used the same opamp, the 741.

But for now, here it goes.

The controls are from left to right: Output > Tone > Gain. The switches from left to right: cap selector- up is standard, down is non standard, center- up adds a diode clipping stage, down is not added. Right- cap selector, down is standard.

Now when you set each switch, it does something different to the tone sweep and or gain and output. I can turn the tone pot into a BMP (big muff) type tone stack. Or I can turn it into a standard 250 tone stack or something different than that. The amount of sounds you can get just in the switches is pretty friggen broad and awesome. I always said that if I could get a 250 with a tone knob, it would be perfect. Well, I got one. And more. And this pedal is pretty bad a$$ IMO.

I have used it with my band a few times already and it performs EXTREMELY well in our mix. The low end is HUGE and full of authority. I was worried that if I pushed the gain too high I’d lose low end like you do with the OG DOD 250. And it can be like that, but all I gotta do is flip some switches and its fixed. I was thinking that this would knock of the Pork Loin on my board and it almost would if I didn’t like the two pedals as much as I do. So both stayed ;) They are both ODs and can be almost dist and both have different characters. The output on the 250 is pretty big, I never have to worry about it not being able to put enough out to stand in the mix. It can be scooped or mid heavy, it can sit in the mix or clobber it. It can be barely there or very in your face. I always felt that the 250 was a really great tube type drive, better than most IMO. And this one is no exception. And going into my Electric, WOW. It sounds so awesome!!! It pushes my tubes so beautifully. It plays really well with my other preamps as well as my dirt pedals. I can actually stack stuff with it. I'm still excited about this pedal and I've had it for a couple weeks already. I get home from work and I want to plug in and play it.

Overall, I’m VERY happy with how it came out. I’m hoping @Nunovsky feels the same way when he gets his as he also contacted Dennis to build him one too. I liked Dennis’s work so much he is building me a green Russian muff right now and is adding an internal mids control with the same switch/diode/cap selectors as my 250 has. I’m so stoked for that one! Should be done soon.

I will get more detailed info on the tone sweep and cap/diode swithes later as well as some OK demos :) thanks for the interest all!!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  2. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Mine is still in production stage, but Dennis is a great guy to deal with. The comunication is really easy and he keeps you up to date with the process. Last time he e-mailed me was to say that the components should arrive by the end of this week, so he'll start as soon as possible to assemble the pedal.
    I have high expectations for this pedal, since I've always thought of the 250 as one of the coolest drives to get a really grindy tone of the bass, but the lack of tone control as always backed me off a bit from getting one. This one will surely be something more than the regular 250.

JCooper and gregmon79 like this.
  3. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    You will def be able to grind with this 250. Or lightly drive, or whatever. It's really versatile as far as drives go. Plus, it's hard to explain, it seems transparent too but at the same time it adds it's own flavor. It like perfectly blends your bass with the drive. DIG!

Nunovsky likes this.
  4. XXL

XXL

Jun 14, 2007
    Im getting one of these 250's!

gregmon79 likes this.
  5. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    1kpui4.

emjazz likes this.
  6. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Even if it is, the tag board isn't. Plus I've seen many folks start out that way. Building kits for others I mean.

7. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    @gregmon79: Post a pic with your sweet paint job!!!

zapped777 and gregmon79 like this.
  8. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Are you being sarcastic???......:smug:

I tried to make a stencil but lost my patience
    250paint.

9. SunnBass

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Absolutely not!!!
    I think it looks rad.

Helix, zapped777, bassmusic17 and 2 others like this.
  10. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I mean it looks like a vero board mosfet boost with a trim pot for the gain. The switches probably change cap values in the circuit.

It's not exactly "custom".

Also, using kits pcb is shady in my book, fwiw.

11. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Compared to the regular 250, it's custom. Thanks for sharing though. Always good to hear from you.

JCooper, gfen and Helix like this.
  12. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    And he doesnt do this for a living or make money off of it btw. Not sure if you saw that or not. So you pointing this out is not really needed @Ziltoid

SunnBass likes this.
  13. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    You do you.

14. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Well I was trying to until you bopped in here and smeared your stank all over.

15. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Sorry it displeased you, but I do believe any reader possibly interested in something along those lines ought to know what the deal is.

Anyways, carry on.

16. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

GuitarPCB explicitly states that you can sell pedals using their circuit boards as long as you aren't doing it for commercial gains. Most PCB providers are like this. Dude's just taking his hobby and likely getting back what he spent in materials.

There are lots of dishonest builders out there that are misrepresenting what they do as totally custom. I don't think this is the case at all. PCB's are easier to build on then vero, but the builder went ahead and added the tone control and a couple switch mods.

Cool pedal, Greg. Sounds like the builder is off to a good start.

What's your Muff gonna be like? Green Russian, mid-control, blend? I think we conversed about this once after I showed off my Madbean DIY Muff

17. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Unless you go back to the dark ages all current builders got their start with kits and vero builds from the internet.

I got my first book when I was 18 and tried to etch my own PCB's and it was a total disaster. A few years later I discovered other nerds on the internet that sold PCB's and I was in heaven. I wish I could have sold my early kit builds because this hobby is expensive!

You're not always paying for soup to nuts pedals. Sometimes you're paying to support a friend or to get something that you couldn't do yourself.

I love to sharpen my pitchfork as much as the next guy but this isn't the fight.

Now back to the pedal. For a deceptively simple circuit the 250 sure does have a ton of staying power. The pedal looks great!

18. SunnBass

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Hey party pooper, nice job pissing in Greg's oatmeal.

19. XXL

XXL

Jun 14, 2007
    Im getting one built and Dennis has been great to work with.

Its going to be much like Gregs but have a relay bypass switching system for just a little added cost.

Love 250s!

20. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Look, I'm not trying to start a fight or anything. Not everybody knows what's going on when they see pedal guts and as I said I just believe lurkers/members that might be interested ought to know. That's all.

Now, if you want to insult me that's a game you'll play alone with the mods. I'm not picking a fight.

petey293 likes this.