Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My custom bass (Australian)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marlat, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    This is a a couple of pictures of my custom bass made by an Australian Lutheir called Neil Kennedy. I know there are a few of them around Australia, but I never seen them mentioned here.

The body woods are native Australian timbers, the pickups are Alembic Signature series and the hardware is Hipshot Ultralite.

I always thought Neil's body design was quite similar to the Jerry Dzoid basses, but you can form your own opinion!

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    This is a shot of the back of the bass. Its a neck through (duh!) with an 11 piece neck made of flamed maple with ebony, wenge and bubinga stringers.

3. Nice rig, odd body shape of the basses. I dunno, i dont like the shape. ;)

Personal choice. Its gotta be more... Jagged! more METAL!

:D:D

Merls

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    WOO!!! Finally!! An all Australian bass!!

What does it sound like? What wood is it out of?

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The body top and back are figured camphorloral (with matching headstock cover and back), the body core is flamed Tasmanian Blackwood and the accents are Jarrah.

The stripes down the front are just ebony accents - although the through neck has body wood covering it from the front (like the Warwicks) - the accents were put in just for effect.

The sound is really hi-fi, it has a really clear bottom end and a sizziling top end. The Alembic pickups / preamp are great - really versitile as each pickup has its own filter and q switch.

Music Junction on Whitehorse Rd in Blackburn (Victoria) occasionally has one for sale.

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Awesome bass!
    thanks for the PM re: the neck lams.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    :eek: WOW!!!!!! Taht's realllllyyyyy nice!!!!!. Congrats.:cool:

8. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Hey Mark,

That's a great bass. Last time I visited Music Junction in Blackburn (I believe its called Billy Hydes now) they had a 5 string and 6 string Neil Kennedy Bass. I tried the 5 and thought it was absolutely awsome. He really does put together a great bass - I might have even bought one myself before I purchased my Belman but I didn't know about him then. His basses are also twice the price of the Belmans - but the craftsmanship is great !!!!:D

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I talked with Neil when I was having the bass built about putting up a website. He intended to do so, but it seems he has never got around to it. I really think he should as his basses are exceptional and he really goes the extra step in terms of the "fine" details.

An example is the headstock on my bass, which has 9 pieces of wood front to back. The front and back match the body wood (figured camphorloral), and there is the flame maple core (from the neck), but there is also an ebony accent piece and 6 laminates (al la Alembic) to strengthen the headstock.

He is also very flexible about wood choices / pickups / scale length / string spacing etc - they were all "no cost" changes!

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Reminds me of a Drozd

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Thats what I thought too, Neil's older designs were more akin to Warwick Dolphins, although the shape was less "unique" than that of a Dolphin.

That said, the shape of the bass,bdoth Neil's and Jerry Drozd's are fairly generic in terms of being small bodied basses.

12. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I recently did work experience at music junction, and played a 6 string by Neil. Rob little, the bass guru there gave me the low-down on them. It was a VERY nice 6er. When i was asked to tune them, that was the first one i went to. In fact, i knew it looked familiar. Needless to say, i got mixed up with all the strings :)

Thats a beautiful bass, and i like it even more now that i know i have played one :) :D

13. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Neil, if your listening Man, get that web site going!!

There's a huge market for basses of your quality - the problem of not having a web site is that people never get to know about you, or when they do it's to late.;)

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I completely agree with you, but one thing to bear in mind is that for Neil (and im sure many other luthiers as well), building basses is a hobby more so than a job. I know Neil already has a full time job, and just builds basses when people want one (or he needs a new one!).

I email him and harrass him about the website. If anyone has any enquiries for Neil, I am more than happy to pass on his email address to you - he is usually pretty happy to just shoot the **** about his basses and construction techniques etc.

15. It's great to see state of the art instruments coming out of our part of the world. Here in NZ, we have a guy called Laurie Williams who is world-class. Although he mainly produces acoustic guitars, he has made some fine basses.

16. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Hey! u have a warwick amp!!!! :D

17. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Oh yeah and nice basses u got there;)

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Actually the amp in the photo is a Ampeg SVT-II - but it is a Warwick 211Pro cabinet!

Currently I have a Warwick Quad IV amp as the SVT was just too damn heavy and expensive to maintain - especially in Australia. I really like the versitility of the Warwick Quad pre-amps - they are really do cover all your basses :) (sorry couldnt help it :)