1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Custom bass, drawings and questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bennet Pullen, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I've officially taken the plunge, I'm having a custom bass built. It's a local guy who's building for me named John Thayer (check out his website). He's never built a bass himself before but his guitars are killer. anyway here are the specs:

5 Strings
    34.5" Scale
    3/4 inch spacing at the bridge
    Black hipshot hardware (style A + Ultralights)
    Nordstrand Fat stacks pups
    Sadowsky pre w/tone control
    Ash body
    Wenge/??? neck
    Maple fingerboard
    And here's the question, what top wood?

I'm thinking of going with bubinga but do you guys have any good suggestions? The top wood is also going to be used for block inlays/binding on the neck so I want something that contrasts well with maple. Below are the drawings I did for the body/headstock, so take a look and tell me what you think. The second line you see on the body will be the edge of the top with the carving, similar to a nordstrand NX.

Attached Files:

2. I really like the looks of that and your wood choices :D Love the headstock! With regards to top wood i think any dark wood would be nice :D bubinga, Wenge, Purpleheart or Walnut.

Good Luck with the build:bassist:

3. I like it, looks nice! From Thayer's website, it seems he does nice work - his acoustic guitars seem very reasonably priced for handmade guitars.

I vote for the curve of the top near the top horn to curve back into the top line of the fingerboard. Otherwise I think it looks very cool.

4. There is a huge selection of top woods you could have. Check out your fave basses and find what they use...

Cheers....

5. Very cool design. Kinda Nordstrand/MTDish.

6. Sweet! I like how the headstock continues the direction of the horns.