Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My custom bass enclosure

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zawali, Jun 11, 2004.

1. zawali

zawali

Sep 28, 2003
    France (PARIS)
    I just want to have your opinion about my custom made box.
    The speaker and the tweeter are respectively a delta 12LF and an apt80 from Eminence. I use a basic hight pass (cf=3.5kHz) to feed the tweeter thru an attenuator.
    The internal volume is about 60.3 liters;The box is tuned to 51 Hz.
    What can i improve? I plan to build another one and i want to clone it : good idea?

some pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Nice workmanship on the cab. I would have used some carry handles though. What does it sound like, are you happy with it?

3. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    how did you do the grill?

4. zawali

zawali

Sep 28, 2003
    France (PARIS)
    i finished it last sunday ....
    I've tested it during few minutes outside at a high volume but not in real conditions :meh:
    The sound is good: not as deep as a 15" cab but enough to handle my 4 strings. I just have to check if it can cut thru the mix

5. On the next one, you might want to consider a couple of things:

As stated, put handles on it. Even small ones make a big difference. Put a parallel speaker jack for daisy-chaining the clones together. If that attenuator knob sticks out from the control plate, it will probably get damaged somewhere down the line. Is the grill just popped into place or is it screwed down? I'd screw it down if I were you. Lastly, I see some staples there...a cleaner install would be to glue the carpet down, using staples to hold it in place while the glue sets, then remove the staples.

All in all, it really looks great. Kudos.

6. zawali

zawali

Sep 28, 2003
    France (PARIS)
    the grill is a 19.6x19.6 fire place one.
    I cut it larger than the speaker front i fold it thanks to 2 wood boards, and a hammer. :)

7. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Cool, nice job Bob Vila!

8. zawali

zawali

Sep 28, 2003
    France (PARIS)
    Thank you[​IMG]

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The staples disappear when the grille is installed.

I think your cabinet looks great!

Personally, I prefer black carpet, but you did a very nice job covering the cabinet! One day, I'll get up the nerve to cover the baffle in a different color (maybe red like the Ampeg BXT series or something Parts Express has a great selection of colors) but I always stick with basic black.

Is the grille protected against corrosion? If not, I'd wipe it down with an oil remover (Prep Sol from an auto paint store) then prime and paint it (any color you want). Otherwise, it's going to get rusty in short order. The other finish option would be to do what SWR used to do (Goliath II era) and that's to varnish the grille (once degreased).

Seven (7) corner protectors?

How about a nice nameplate? You can have one made at an office supply store (I have Office Max do mine) and then trim them to size and file the edges at home.

For securing the grille, I get finishing washers at the hardware store, paint them to match the grille then use long drywall screws to hold it on.

10. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    hmmm kinda looks like an Aguilar
    [​IMG]