1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My custom bass Project: 5 string jazz bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by garmenteros, Sep 17, 2008.

1. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    First of a little info on what motivated me to get this project under way. I currently own 7 basses, 20th anniversary stingray 5hh, 30th anniversary stingray 4, ibanez rickenbacker 4001, ibanez gibson grabber (due in a couple of days), 1986 alembic 5 string spoiler (in the shop), 1968 fender mustang (needs some love), and a 70s fender jazz bass that i need to put into shape as soon as possible.

All of these basses are all wood, no graphite, and only my 30th stingray is a one piece body. Obviously Im missing something.

Ive always been dying for a graphite neck, and I find would stains like those on my musicman basses quite an eye piece.

BASICALLY I wanted a fender custom classic jazz bass V but with a graphite 35 scale neck, badass V bridge, and 5j bartolinis.

I have the barts and the badass already, and as far as electronics go Im going passive, probably buying a harness from tonemojo.com

I custom ordered the neck from moses graphite and should have it in a month or so, 21 fret fender headstock (4 + 1)

For the body I wanted a one piece body. Mahogany was the way to go. Im using some mahogany imported from the pacific islands, very high quality, im not sure if this is the same kind commonly used in the states...

For the hardware and the pickguard everything in black. Black dome knobs, black pickguard, black cloverleaf tuners, black control plate, etc.

Anyways in my next post I will post pictures. I need some advice regarding the neck joint, are neck plates the way to got, screws threw the body without the neck plate etc...

2. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    DSC07169.
    DSC07172.
    DSC07174.
    DSC07175.
    DSC07186.
    DSC07190.

3. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    Did you get that body already routed?

4. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    no... the picture on the bottom is actually the board when i selected it from one of the sheds. its 2 inches think and is going to need alot of sanding.