Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My custom bass shape

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Nov 9, 2002.

1. The warmoth thread gave me an idea...I love the Iceman shap, but I also like symmetrical shapes too, ala the Gibson SG. So, I decided to meld the ideas using Paint Shop Pro trickery. Enjoy:

[​IMG]

Here's what it would look like as a guitar:

[​IMG]

What you think?

2. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    i dont like it sorry, cant really put a finger on why though...:confused:

3. That looks pretty cool. Why would you say it would not be balanced? Surely it would balance better than the original Iceman shape because of the longer upper horn.

4. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Fine then, add more horns. Make it look like it was Venom's bass or something. (Venom from Spiderman):D :mad:

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  6. its got "Jetsons" written all over it!

( not necessarily a bad thing?)

7. I do it with a few body shapes, makes life interesting. I like symmetry, what can I say? I think I'll do a couple more:

A weird Spector - anyone else see a Warwick Thumb here :eek:?
    [​IMG]

A Sadowsky that I've toyed with - no controls:
    [​IMG]

Freaky eh?

8. BLASTPHEMY!!!

STOP IT - MY EYES HURT!!!

:D

9. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    reminds me of the syme basses w/ their crazy grasping horns....i don't like the symmetry of it though, but that's just me.

10. the bottom part of the body needs to be wider so it is a more balanced looking shape, right now the horns are too wide, and the end too skinny to look asthetically pleasing. This coming from a design standpoint. I think'd it look cool if you did that.

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Too slim and wimpy looking - but that's just my personal take (but, what can I say? You asked for opinions).

If it makes you happy, that's what counts most.

I just like a big-ass body because they always sound bold and "huge" if the right woods are used. All I hear with smaller, slim, bodies are the pickups.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ewwwww.........

Peace
    Nick

13. Obviously this will be the size of the Warmoth Iceman, but with an added horn. The guitar does look wimpy, but I just wanted to illustrate the effect with everything on it, and I couldn't get the neck to look right with the Warmoth pic.

And hey, I have no problem with getting huge pickups. I mean, BassLab basses sound good, and they don't even have a body per se ;)

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Rule of thumb:

The upper horn should end between the 12th and 14th fret for good balance.

15. Yeah, but Thumbs, Icemen and Thunderbirds all have shortass horns, but it doesn't stop them selling. This is somewhat of a compromise, ending at the 15th. Anyway, I'd get a massively heavy bridge and light tuners on it, it IS a custom.

;)

16. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Here's a slightly modified version.

17. I'm not too keen on the way the lower horn curves towards the fretboard - potential pain!

How about this way(excuse the bad editing job):

[​IMG]

EDIT: Here's the alternative with a neck:

[​IMG]

18. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, but it also doesn't stop them from being neck-heavy as hell. And I don't think they sell well compared to other models.

19. My point is that just cos they're neck heavy doesn't mean they aren't playable. Thumbs are Warwicks trademark bass, Icemen are gonna sell hugely because of Daron Malakian of SOAD, and they're recognizable also, and Thunderbirds are just classics. Thunderbirds sell more than LP basses or the old SG basses.