Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My custom bass *sigh*... (also share yours)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Oct 20, 2000.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've figured out what I'm going to do, but I can't for about a year and a half...maybe more.

I'm going to buy a six string bass, 35' scale, preferably with dual truss rods, then re string it F#-B-E-A-D-G, and to accomodate this, file the nut, replace either the whole bridge, or just the sadles, and maybe get new pickups. Why? Becuase I dig the F#, but don't want the HC, so I'm not going to get a 7, but instead a different bass. Maybe a Warwick or a Pedulla or something, I'm not sure. But that is going to be my custom set up. Does that sound like a bass or what!?

Was going to get a Conklin, but for what I'm talking about, I might be able to get it cheaper my way, instead of a Seven, or a six string custom. If I didn't I was going to save up and have Bill Conklin make me a REAL custom with a special body shape and finish.

What is your dream/soon to be/wahtever custom model going to be if and when you get one?

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I already have a Custom rofl!! and i've only played for.... hmm 10 months? ROFL!! Its the Salas Custom 4 -=) Its on the Threads here somewhere.. I LOVE IT

3. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I really don't know what to think about custom basses. On the otherhand, I'd really love a fancy custom bass with all those coolest finishes and treats that are all made to suit me and me only, but then again I really dont want one. I think basses are a bit like people. I mean, I don't want a custom made girlfriend! It would be boring. One of the nicest things I know is to try to live with all the little flaws of my basses because those flaws are parts of their character. Of course a custom made bass has it's own character too, but I dunno.. I just can't appreciate is as much. I wan't the bass to meet halfway down the road, if you know what i mean. Im the other part, and my Jazz or Stingray is the other and I just have to live by these basses which I really like even though there are some things in both of them that I think could be improved, but I don't wan't to.

Does that make any sense?

4. I'm going to build my own (semi) custom 4 string fretless. The configuration has changed a few times (in my head). At the present time it's going to be a warmoth jazz body made of walnut with a satin finish of Tru-Oil. Warmoth maple neck w/satin urethane finish. Ebony fretboard with inlayed walnut (or maple stained walnut) fretlines. Rear routed, no pickgaurd or control plate, with black chrome knobs, black hipshot Ultralight tuners and a black Schaller bridge. Either Fender or Basslines vintage jazz pickups.

I'm ordering the body later this week. I'll buy the rest, piece by piece, as I can affford to.

5. Dox

Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    I agree with Tuomass. A bass should be like a girlfriend... Then again I would hate to see that one beautiful bass among them all and fall inlove with. Then when I go to buy it I find out someone has gotten to her before I have. Then that player abuser her and leaves her in a wreck and sells her back into the store. So then I come in and I watch an dhelp that poo rlittle bass back into perfect condition. And when it is finally better an dI go to get it again someone else has again beatin' me to the bass and teh cycle goes around and over and over again!!!! ::runs to corner crying:: :(

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Someday, when my ship comes in, I'm going to call up Michael Pedulla and have him make my (current!) dream bass:

A doubleneck, Buzz style body, with the top neck being a bolt on 6 string version of the Rapture neck with a shallower profile and a harder V back, birdseye maple board, large abalone block inlays, and this bass will be strung F#BEADG. Bart J pickups and 3 band preamp with tweakable mids.

The second neck will be through body, 3 piece maple laminated and hard V shallow profile as well, PentaBuzz with the Diamondkote lined fingerboard, ebony, of course, and Bart P/J setup with the 3 band preamp as well.

The body will be solid AAAAA quilted maple and will be scooped and contoured on the back like the original belly cut bass, the Spector NS.

Finish will be an understated traditional sunburst with triple chrome hardware, ABM bridges(or Kahler if I can find them!) and Pedulla mini tuners.

Both necks will have Jazz style tapered spacing, and the spacing at the bridge will be 3/4".

The fretted headstock will have my signature, and the fretless headstock will have an ebony overlay with THE EMBELLISHER inlaid in mother of pearl.

<|drools|>

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. I'm just finishing off my six string I built myself. Neck thru, maple and walnut stringers, alder wings, Alembic pups and preamp, all copper shielded, all screws are machine screws with threaded inserts, Top of the line Gotoh tuners and bridge, twin truss rods and rosewood board (I dont like ebony). It started off with Bartolini pups and Duncan preamp, but then I heard the Alembics in a friends bass, and that was it! The whole bass is finished in a poly/tung oil combination. I had the frets and fingerboard levelling done by a luthier, and I looooove it.

8. Let's see, most of the things that I have for my custom bass will be abtainable within 6 months.
    1. Black MIA Fender Precision
    2. BadAss 2 bridge
    3. Tortoise Shell Pickguard
    4. Basslines P-Pickup (non-active, cuz there is no cavity)
    That would make for one sweet bass, I have the Fender, I just need all that other stuff.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I just wish I could get Warmoth to make their Gecko body in a four string version.... I've learned to get a real kick out of building kit guitars, and would like to try my hand at a bass.

10. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    This is My custom 5 string fretless. Its maple/poafaro neck Ibanez body, EMG Slect Pickups (soon to be replaced by basslines hot j's) inlaid frets by me epoxy fretboard by me, stringthrough drilled by me...Mound of spagetti in the cavity by me. (Phase switch, series/parallel switch, pan knob, volume bass and treb from fishman preamp, and a swich incase the bateries fail, and I get clean pickup tone after the pan knob. I have a warwick adjustable nut, and the neck is a Warmoth neck AND I LOVE IT SO!!!.

I have some picts I would like to show, but I dont know how to pu them in. Let me know some one

11. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Heres a few of my dream basses:

Electric Uprightish bass

something like the ashbory by DeArmond but with the piezo that is already there + one closer to the neck & the light wave pickup thing. in some weird shape.

Multi-Neck Bass

body: i dunno

necks: 3 top neck: 4 string mid. neck: 6 string bottom: 12 string. top neck tuned f#bea, mid neck tune F#beadg, 12 string 4 string with octaves

pickups: 2 mm 1 @ neck 1 @ bridge, in between those 2 2 p-bass pickups 3 jazz pickups & 1 humbucker. each with on off switch.
    this one [one just got done describing] is the least likely to happen

Bass

9 string bass tuned cf#beadgbe i dunno of anything that can go down to that low of a frequency though & to my knowledge the human ear can't hear it that low [c octave below c on the b string]. ok thats all

12. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    A Sadowsky PJ5 with a soapbar PUP in place of the Jazz PUP (according to MR. Sadowsky, not possible/cost prohibitive); he will do a Musicman PUP. No pickguard or tone control cover, transparent stain over nicely grained wood, gold hardware, maple or morado fretboard.

13. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    For me, the ne plus ultra is the Fodera Anthony Jackson Presentation with a 5A quilted mahogany top (yes, the one in the picture). Semi-hollow alder body, custom wound passive pickup, 28 fret Brazilian rosewood board, no electronics. For a little less, I'd settle for the solid-bodied Emperor II 6-string with a figured walnut top. Electronic simplicity and good wood appeal to me.

14. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Christopher.. $$$$$$$ :O

15. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    FenderJazzCam: geezez. u need to save up some serious $$ to get those hehe :D

16. most definatly my dream "custom" bass would have to be an ibanez soundgear model, neck-thru, matte black body with matching headstock and the back of the neck. the fretboard would be ebony most likely with medium frets and "scratched-X" inlays where they usually go and two scratch-X's at the 12th fret. it would be tuned in CGCF with active P and J pickups and black hardware. omg that would just be aswome!

17. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    DM thats why they are dream basses :D . The multi neck one would have to be like a 40-42 inch scale in order to have that many pickups 8 [p/u]. That thing would be heavy. Oh well. I might end up getting a custom bass once i get a job & money. thats all

18. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    lemme know how that works out! i was probably going to make my custom jazz with the warmoth walnut body as well. any hints will be greatly appreciated :)

19. I was actually thinking of doing the same thing as you. I really love that low F# too and dont like that high G. I was thinking of getting a bass tremolo to add onto it.