My Custom bass with pic!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arvidgunardi, Jul 27, 2001.

1. This is the bass I have been talking about. It was made here in Indonesia by a local luthier that only charge US $150(Sorry he do not export...simply too much hastle).

It uses Koa/maple/rosewood/maple/rosewood/maple/Koa for body, and the same for the neck without the Koa. I use Macassar ebony(local wood) for the lined fretless fingerboard which I got for free!! HAHA!

For PU, it uses Bart 9w4** something, and the Preamp is also Bart(forgot which one). It'll be using Badass 2 bridge. Gotoh tuning peg.

It's been close to 4 months, and about a few more weeks, it should be done. About time!:)

2. Nice :D

heheh.. you're Indonesian ? Baiklah :)

Halo bapak arvidgunardi, nama saya AllodoX.. Saya orang Belanda & saya berbicara sedikit Malay :D

3. WOW!.....Dutch dude. Hahaha....Apa kabar? How would you know hoe to speak indonesian?? That is Bizzare!! But cool though! Well, wat do u think about my bass huh? The pic dont do it justice!
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That bass is a looker. arvid!:)

Be sure and post a review when it is done.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Looks great, arvid!!!

I really like big body basses. I imagine it looks even bigger in the pics because I'm thinking the luthier is not a large man.

It looks like it has Warwick-Carl Thompson stylistic influences.

Pictures on the net never do these beautiful woods justice. Maybe when it is finished, you can get some pictures in a better light for photography, and it will show better than in that shop lighting.

Still, it looks really good, even before it gets oiled/finished.
  6. Thanks guys!

That guy, the assistant, is not a large man indeed:)

That bass is not that big actually, I was comparing the body side by side to an original warwick(not sure which model) which was being repaired at the shop, and my bass seems abit smaller.

It does have a warwick influence isn't it?:) Not sure about carl Thomson though.....I did a research on magazines/TB about what kind of body design I like, and I drew it on a paper, and that guy do it for me. No questions asked! Even before he cut the body, he even called me up to approve the drawing on the wood....I ended up erasing the pencil drawing on the "belly" part of the body, and drew it myself....haha!:)
  7. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    That is absolutely gorgeous! Sorta Warwicky but much better.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I wonder how much a round trip ticket to Indonesia is?

I could vacation down there and pick up my custom bass.
  9. Kabar baik :)

my Ex-girlfriend was Bruneian.. so i learned some of her native language :)

b.t.w. the bass looks sweet
  10. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Nice Arvid.Very nice. Shipping to the US is easy. Bring three copies of an invoice to your local UPS center with a declared value and send it directly to me. I'll take good care of it for you. :)
  11. Hehehe:)

There's one thing I didn't mention, with that price, you still have to pay for the PU, Bridge, etc. US $150 only covers the workmanship, and whatever wood that is available in his shop.

A lot of people has actually been trying to convince him in exporting his bass, but his reasons were not enough workers to match the quality he's trying to achieve.

Quite a number of famous artists(including Lee Ritenour if I'm not mistaken) manage to visit him and get their guitar fixed while touring in Indonesia. So I mean, there's no doubt his stuff are good stuff, unfortunately he's REALLY SLOWWWWWW!!

After all there's alot of really awesome wood carving artists here in Indonesia that has been doing wood work since their grand-grand parents. And they were using chisel to cut out the space for the PU!!

Come here in Indonesia...:D Everything is so cheap guys would be treated like royalty! And I'll bring you guys to eat some dog meat too!....J/k!
  12. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    the body looks like its a warwick corvette and a F bass head stock :)
  13. :D The more I see the bass from the pic, and reading from this thread, the more I see all those resemblance!

Gee! For a minute there I thought I was being creative! Apparently it's still a copy:(.....
  14. Someone told me the horn looked like a dildo!:D
  15. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    nice bass. Looks like a cross between a Warwick and a Warrior.

16. *Drool* o sorry, man that is hot and only for 150 bucks labor! Alls you had to buy was hardware! Thats incredible! Great deal. And the best of luck with your new bass:D
  17. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Saya sadikit bahasa indonesia, saya nama Dean. Kamu sedikit bahasa? I was fluent but its been about 5 years at least, I used to live there when I went to high school. Just out of curiousity what woods where used and I'm sure it was built completely to you specs right?
    hopefully since it was built in a third world country it's not a third world bass even though it doesn't look like one. Hope it holds up in the humidity since its really horrible right there on the equator. Hey since we all speak a Bahasa mabye we should start a secret club:D.
  18. This is pretty WILD! I didn't know that there's that there's even one people that can speak Indonesian/BAHASA other than!:D

The wood for the wings are local Koa(at least that's what he said), the lamination are maple/rosewood/maple/rosewood/maple.

The fingerboard is Macassar ebony which I got for free from a friend of mine that export large amount of Indonesian wood (Teak etc).

I was just on that joint again today, and the people told me that the bass's finish is done, so I figured why not install some of the stuff myself. And with the help of the workers there, I ended up connecting the neck and body, install my Badass 2, the tuners(it's Korean made but a set of Gotoh is on its way). I must say, it was a great experience to be able to participate in building your own bass hands on. Even though the Luthier had to stop me from ruining anymore of it:D

The himidity is also my main concern actually, but the Luthier is willing to guarantee the bass for 1-2 years I think. So he will adjust or fix anything that comes up along the way.

But from what I've seen from all the basses that had been made by him before, it has all been excellent!

2 more days! 2 more days!!
  19. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i'm really interested in knowing how the bass finally sounds. let us know!!!