Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Custom Fauxdera

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter Parker, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Well, the bass I started building not too very long ago is near completion. For the pics I lightly sprayed some naptha on the top to sort of simulate a finish. I have to do some final sanding and then apply the finish and it will be done. This was a very rewarding experience. It's the first bass I've built (Hey Dave Pushic, it's your turn to attack me:D ) and can say without a doubt it will not be my last. I did all the cutting and shaping of the body with fairly crude instruments and it turned out very well. I don't have all the tools I need to build the neck so I let Warmoth do it for me. The next neck, I build. There were a couple of very small measuring flaws but nothing that hampers the tone or playability. The building didn't go smooth at all times but most times it went well. The body is mahogany, the top is purpleheart with a piece of flame maple/ peruvian walnut/ flame maple inlayed in the middle. Originally, I was just going with a solid purpleheart top but during the lamination process the ends in the middle warped due to lack of enough clamps. So I routed a 3" channel and inlayed the strips. I can't believe how well that turned out. The seams are very tight and it looks like I meant to have them there.
    The tone is so good I can't believe it. I wanted a bass with a very growly tone so I got a couple of Roscoe Beck p/u's, a Bart 3 band pre and installed the p/u's close to the bridge. I am very excited about this bass and am encouraged to continue on. I've learned a lot in this experience and can say the few mistakes I made with this bass will not happen again. I'm sure I'll figure up brand new mistakes for the next one:p

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Here's a full pic.

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    By the way, if you see any gaps by the neck or p/u's, it's just shadows. The neckpocket and p/u cavities are very tight. Those two things worried me the most in this project and they came out the best. The neck pocket is much tighter than any of my Fenders. I guess I got lucky:)

4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Now I am no expert in building basses but...aren't the pickups supposed to be lined up with the strings? How else would they "pickup" the vibrations? That looks like a 6 string pickup on a 5 string bass...

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    impressive

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    They (the polepieces) don't have to be. They just help guide the magnetic field. The classic Jazz Bass pickup has a pair of poles under each string, one on either side of it. Looks like the RB pickup design just spread them out a bit (I think less magnetic pull is actually designed into those pickups, Roscoe mentioned in an interview that he found that to be a problem with 5-string pickups, they pulled on the strings too much).

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Should look great with a nice finish on it!

8. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Peter, that bass looks great!! I hope it turns out the way you like it.

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

oh ok, thanks! :D

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    WOW!!!!!!!! VERYYYYYY NICE!!!!!. My only concern is how close the bridge p/u is to the bridge. When ever I played any basses with a p/u so close to the bridge, I didn't like the sound.

11. Funkyaurora

Funkyaurora

Aug 21, 2002
    Norway
    Peter,
    very nice bass you`ve got there! Guess it will really growl! I have also been thinking of getting a pair of Bill Lawrence pickups (Roscoe Beck model) for a custom bass project. Would you mind telling me where you got yours, or where to order a set?
    Prices would also be cool!
    :)

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I should point out, that if pole-pieces are farther from one string or strings than the rest, then it can result in uneven sound, so I would be wary if I saw something like that (though, pictures taken at even small angles can make it look like that when it isn't).

13. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Thanks for the replies.
    Nino, I totally understand your concern. I've owned alot of basses and have liked something from all of them, so I decided to place the p/u's in familiar spots. The bridge p/u locations is identical to where my Ken Smith bridge p/u is located. I love the sound of that bass with it's bridge solo'd. Also, when I split the bridge into single coil mode, the coil closest to the neck is on. The neck p/u is located almost exactly where a P bass p/u would be. It's moved back by not quite a 1/4". The bass really does sound good. I've found that basses whose p/u's are fairly far apart tend to lack midrange and their B strings aren't very good. The B on mine is quite good. I Really got lucky

Basssaxman, the strings are running over the p/u's in the same way they do on the Roscoe Beck bass. The polepieces you see have several more polepieces between them that you don't see. If I would have been THAT far off, I would have never posted pics:D

Funkyaurora, these p/u's are great, especially with a preamp. I bought them at dealer cost which was $96 for the pair. Pretty cheap I think for such good pickups.:)

14. Funkyaurora

Funkyaurora

Aug 21, 2002
    Norway
    As for the spread out pole piece design of the B.L. pickups on the Roscoe Beck bass;
    -according to BP`s review of this bass the pickups actually have alnico"tri-pole" configuration.
    The following is taken from the review:

"Although the pickups appear to have 12 polepieces each, there are actually 22, as each string has two dedicated magnets directly below it, located underneath the pickups' covers. Fender says this arrangement reduces the "double-beating effect" for better intonation past the 12th fret, because the magnets have a softer magnetic pull, especially on the B and E strings. It works, as the bass has a very clean and stable sound in the upper positions, even along the B."

The whole review can be found here:
    BP`s Fender RB V review

:)

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Pretty impressive, Scott.

16. Good job. NIce for your first bass. keep it up.:D

17. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Sorry for calling you Peter. I had no choice!!

18. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Looks good! I may have to PM you with some questions when I finally bite the bullet and put together the wood I've collected.

19. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Sshh!!!!!!!! You're giving away my secret identity:p

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sorry about that, Spidey:D