Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Custom "fleshed out" by a fellow TBer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lamborghini98, Sep 7, 2005.

1. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Hey all,
    I noticed that a fellow TBer does photoshop requests (I dont want to mention his name because he worked a long time on this, and I dont want his inbox filling up requests... he can come forward if he wants), and Im getting a custom made. The thing is I dont have so much experience with wood that I can just flesh it out in my head, so I asked him to help me out. I think he did a very good job with what he was given (a very good job period, actually), and Id like some comments. He gave me one, that the lower bout was too big, and Id like others.

Lets cut to the chase:
    specs:
    afzelia burl top
    wenge wings
    curly maple/padauk/cm neck through
    emgs (DC, TW)
    bloodwood fretboard.
    The rest is unimportant

Pictures are attached.
    The Wenge around the edges was an idea I was playing with (not around the edges, but I wanted the base wood to be visible b/c I like the look a lot, but Im not sure how to implement).
    Im looking for lots of pointers, esp those ( :rollno: ) more outlandish and extremist ones some of us post, so dont hold back making he feel stupid.

EDIT: it wont be a fretless, its just too much work to draw on all the frets.

Attached Files:

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I like, there's just something about it that's not "grabbing" me though.

3. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I think I know what you mean... its unfortunate because I cant figure it out waht it is. I mean, of course its not going to grab anyone because its just a photoshopped bass, but its hard to really fall in love with something after the manifestation of it isnt so great itself.

4. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    It'll be a beautiful instrument, but like karrot-x said... there's "just something"...

In an attempt to figure out what that "something" might be (remember, this is just my opinion, but...):

Perhaps the profile of the lower 'horn' could be trimmed down, as its' current profile is a little heavier/thicker looking than the upper horn.

Also, I agree that the lower (control knob area) bout is larger in shape to the upper (arm rest area) bout... maybe losing a little mass in that lower bout area would also help balance the look.

And finally... to me... there seem to be too many of those multiple scallops at the butt end of the instrument. It seems too busy. Maybe one scallop less... but in that regard, that's just my personal taste...

Thanx for letting us put forward our .02! ;)

5. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Hmmm..
    Its so hard to see what people mean when they criticize because Ive been looking at this design for so long Ive gotten used to it. I think I see waht you mean about the lower horn, and its not hard to fix. The problem with the lower bout is a problem to fix. Does anyone else feel the same way about the scallops?

6. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    Its so hard to see what people mean when they criticize because Ive been looking at this design for so long Ive gotten used to it.

I like it, and w/exception on the chopped horns, I like the whole thing.

great looking bass, and I'm sure it plays equally well :) :cool:

7. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    With the top horn that short, I'd be afraid it's not going to balance well on a strap - it's going to neck-dive.

I'd think long and hard before I built a bass that looks great but is uncomfortable to play.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah that lower curve looks a bit pregnant.

9. Hey all.

Now that I look at this, I think the problem is partly in the horns. They are slightly too short, but more importantly, they need to be swept forward a little more. I think it looks great as is, but if the top horns were slightly more swept, it would look even better! The lower wing definately needs a little size reduction.

By the way, I'm the one that did this photoshop. I was just asked to change the woods slightly, so I'll post a variation on this when I'm done with it.

10. And here's the revised edition. I only changed the Afzelia Burl and Padouk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This bass is looking pretty good!

11. useless

useless Guest

Mar 11, 2004
    Fresno!
    i'd say that an additional (third) scallop should be added to the upper side of the butt to balance out the two lower scallops. my .02 cents..... Other than that it looks great!

12. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    I think it's that the upper horn looks small and wimpy compared to the rest.