My custom fretless is DONE!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arvidgunardi, Aug 23, 2001.

1. G

Apr 12, 2000
    Looks fantastic. Nice shape... But how does it sound, and are you pleased with your creation?

2. Thanks G

It sounds great I must say. Thanks to BArtolini PU and preamp. Also the great Badass2 bridge. The bass just can't stop growling or "meowing".

To my huge suprise, the bass seems to ring quite well. It turns out WAY batter than I expected.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Very nice. I hope it sounds and plays as good as it looks.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Cool axe. Just out of curiosity, did you specify the bolt-on neck or was neck-through not an option?
  5. I did specify that I wanted a bolt on. When I went to the guy, it was sort of a gamble I took; I didn't know how it's going to turn out. BUt considering the labour only cost about US $150, I went ahead. But even that, I still prefer a bolt on rather than a neck-through to avoid any problems with the neck.

He does neck through also, and really nice too. Now that I've played the bass, I'm convinced. And I'm in the process of designing my next bass; a hollow body:)
  6. APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    I think it's a beauty! A really elegant bass that begs to be played.
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If that plays and sounds as good as it looks, that is one impressive bass, (I assume it does). Really nice work, especially considering he does so much by hand.

Is that an oil finish, arvid? I was wondering about the purpleheart darkening.
  8. Congrats! That's a beautiful instrument.

9. I have no freakin' idea what kind of finish he used:D You're probably right, it could be oil. All the choices I have are, "gloss" or flat finish. He didnt say much.

Regarding the tone, it's hard to show you guys. I'll wait until I get a chance to record it and attach the file.
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    What sort of problems do you feel the neck-through's will have that the bolt-on's will avoid? My experience has been the opposite: bolt-on problems such as misalignment, loose neck pocket, etc. are non-existent on neck-throughs. I can understand a preference for one or the other based on sound (i.e. punchy bolt-on vs. sustained neck-through) but I've not previously heard of a bolt-on preference for any reason other than the replaceable option should the neck get damaged. Speak to me, bro.
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Those problems aren't non-existent at all. If there was a problem with the neck (Twisting, warping, multiple dead spots) which would be easier to repair/ replace? Plain and simple, neck-through necks are more "permanent".

I can understand some apprehension dealing with a small luthier for the first time. If I were having a bass built it would be a bolt-on... but only for the sound;)

Sweet bass... and he won't export, right?:)
  12. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    That's a very beautiful piece of artwork. Very interesting actually - the neck is bolt-on, yet from the front the bass looks like a neck-thru because of the winged body. :)
  13. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    nice bass, looks alot better than anything i got, but ive got a question how are the barts cuz im looking at a bass with a simaler p/u eq set up, and i just wanted to know if your happy with it cuz the one at the stores got really dead strings so i cant get that vibe new strings give, if you even understand what im talking about
  14. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Looks real nice. I was wondering how it balanced until I viewed a close up showing how he moved the rear button to compensate for the long horn. :)
  15. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    It´s beautiful! I don´t doubt that you enjoy playing this beauty.:)
  16. Actually you're right, but what I meant was that since neck-through is more permanent like Brad Johnson was saying, so if there were to be any damage, it would be hard to repair. Even this, I still can ask him to make extra necks for the bass. Ex Fretted and fretless etc.

I think he does, it's just that I don't want to be responsible if someone ends up ordering it from him, and did not receive it because of Indonesian Custom etc. You can try:) Or come here, and order it from him, wait, and pick it up yourself and bring it back home.

Regarding the Barts, the PU are passive(9w4j-L) it's meant for fretless. And the preamp is 9 volt active. The sound is very "solid", warm, yet clear. My preamp has a volume, blend, treble, bass, and mid with 3 selectable freq switch(switch not installed). So I have quite a control over the sound, even though all I'm tweaking the most is the blend, and treble boost. A little bit of mid. Over all I think the barts are simply awesome. They sounded like .... BASS!!:)

I'm still trying to get used to balancing the bass. He did move the rear button higher, but it still feel kinda awkward to be honest. Need getting used to.

I still need to practice so much playing fretless.:D
  17. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    that's a beauty man!! it seems to be made really really well!! congrats!
  18. Eh, gue baru liat bass elo, keren banget man. buat di mana? di jakarta? gila hebat juga yah? gue interested banget sama yang buat bass elo, did you have it done in jakarta? if so by who?

Gue juga main bass nih dari taun 1991, I play punk, ska, rock steady, garage, yah yang gampang gampang dulu lah, hehehe. Sorry, pasti elo tuh jago banget.

Oh iya, nama gue Abimanyu, gue tinggal di jakarta juga, di Senjaya, deket block M. Gue lagi di Vegas tapi gue bakalan balik entar January jadi gue nyari guru yang friend/good beginner teacher entar di jakarta kalo gue udah balik, untuk one on one private lesson, ada yang kenal guru enggak? kalo ada contact gue dong di

Thanks berat yah, it's nice to know an Indonesia on this board
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

arvid, all I can say is WOW! and I hope that she sounds as good as she looks.