My custom short-scale fiver

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marcus, Sep 14, 2005.

1. [​IMG]

Cute, isn't she?

I purchased it from luthier David Cronce after seeing it on Ebay and harassing him with a boat load of questions and man, the thing is everything I was looking for in a five string instrument. I'm not too partial towards the B, so when I first started looking a few months back, I wanted a fiver that was made for a C. I also was starting to appreciate a shorter scale more (even though my main gigger is a Modulus Quantum 4, 35'' scale) for some Stanley Clarke mojo so that was part of the criteria. Oddly enough, I also wanted an instrument with isolated monorail bridges because I can't stand sympathetic string noise on fivers (I owned a Carvin BB75 that was prone to such) so I was really gunning for something custom and specific. Next on the hit list was fanned frets. Yeah, like I was going to find a short scale fiver tuned to C with isolated bridges AND with fanned frets for under a couple of grand. I also wanted something passive, as the majority, if not practically all of my instruments are active.

Problem was, I did not have the thousands to drop on an Alembic or any other boutique to have "my" bass built.

This seriously must have been an act of the almighty, because after searching on Ebay for months, I come across Dave's bass. He built it himself and has quite an impressive resume. I was really hesitant at first because A) it's Ebay, and B) it just seemed too good to be true. First off, here are the specifications:

Body woods: Walnut body with padauk top

Bridge: ABM individual chrome bass bridges

Pickups: EMG HZ five string in neck and bridge, 9.6k ohms.

Controls: One volume and five-way switch. The five-way has the following pickup selections; (1) Neck, outer coil; (2) Neck and Bridge, outer coils; (3) Bridge, humbucking; (4) Neck and Bridge, humbucking; (5) Neck, humbucking.

Strap buttons: Chrome

Neck wood: Padauk

Fretboard wood: chechen (brazilian cherry)

Frets: 6105 medium jumbo

Nut: Custom cut bone (you won't find a replacement nut for this bass anywhere)

Tuners: Gotoh Chrome Bass tuners

Truss rod: Hot Rod double action truss rod with 1/8" allen nut

As you can see, it is crafted in homage to Carl Thompson, making it aesthetically pleasing and really classy.

Nevertheless, I got the bass and was praying that it would be everything I had hoped for and man... I plugged it in and to say that it blew me away would be an understatement.

First off, you guys were right: Fanned frets are VERY EASY to get used to. If you want to try fanned frets, DO IT. You will not regret it.

Second, I do not miss the tone knob one bit! The five-way switch really pushes the EMG-HZ (which get a bad rep but hey, I dig) like crazy. There's no hum of any kind and after tuning it, there was no buzz and an incredibly low action. I was shocked.

What was also great was how Dave went as far as to throw in an extra set of strings for the instrument as well as a strap and all of the licensing information he had received from Novax. The guy went the extra mile to make sure I'd dig his creation and considering he was the only owner, I feel proud to carry this and now call it my own.

If any of you guys have questions, shoot them my way, I love this thing.
  2. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Very nice.

I was speaking with a luthier last week about having a similar bass (fanned fret 5, medium - short scale) built. What are the scale lengths on yours?
  3. The long scale on the bass is 32 1/8" and the short scale is 30".

I'll PM you Dave's information shortly.
  4. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    is it in your hands yet?
    How's that B sound on a 32" scale? is it crazy floppy?
  5. It's tuned E A D G C with no buzzing, flop, or any problems whatsoever.
  6. tety

Dec 7, 2007
    Would you send me Dave Cronce's phone number so I can finally get a custom neck. Thanks Ted. email
  7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    I have a custom 32-35 fanned 5er (BEADG) by CB and am waiting for the Dingwall SJ5 (production just began-none out yet). They both have 19mm spacing @ the bridge. This is the paradigm for me! Good B, sweet G and even tension and tone all around. Your EADGC custom looks wicked. Welcome to the fanned club :)