My custom Shuker in porgress!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Apr 17, 2004.

1. after years of blowing my money on cheaper basses i've finally managed to control myself long enough to save up the money to commision a custom bass. the luther is Jon Shuker i've talked to him on several occasions in the past and he's a super nice guy. and his basses are great and EXCELENT value for money. so he was the obvious choice.

we've been in talks since January sorting out the design and specs of this bass. and after almost 3 months of nearly daily e-mails. the bass has started! here's the spec list:

- 5 string
    - 34" scale
    - 19mm string spacing at bridge
    - 1.75" nut
    - Swamp ash body
    - 5 piece maple/wenge/flame maple/wenge/maple thru-neck
    - 24 fret birdseye maple fingerboard
    - Wenge block inlays
    - Master grade quilted maple top
    - Matching head veneer
    - Wenge control knobs and pickup covers
    - Seymour Duncan 3-coil MM5 and Quarter pounder J pickups
    - Shuker 3-band circuit with 2nd internally adjustable mid control
    - Black hardware
    - Individual bridge pieces
    - Gotoh GB70 tuners
    - Brass/Corian laminated nut
    - Medium jumbo fretwire
    - Natural satin/gloss finish
    - Black accent stripes between body and top, headstock and top, body and neck, and neck and fretboard

i've been itching to start this thread for ages. but decided to wait until the first pics arrived. which they did today.
    but first off, a look and the unbelievably stunning quilt maple

and then the shots that arrived today. which shows the bass template and the neck woods

if you want to see the other pics (essentially just different angles and close ups) they're on my site here

the bass should take 10-12 weeks to complete. and in the meantime i'll share every progress pic i get!

2. Hey,

Looks like its gonna be Killer... :)...

Been pottering round on the new shukersite and there's a few choice items for sale :) will have to let me know how it turns out...looking at the specs i guess it isnt not going to be cheap :p..but they are excellante value and jon certainly knows his stuff when it comes to woods and PUP configs and choices.. :)..

I would love to know how much this is going to be setting you back for future referance....PM if you like :)

Keep the pics coming..

Ive opted for a second GB.....but im in no doubt that a Shuker will be added at some point...
  3. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Nice! Looks like it's going to be a ripper.

I'm hoping to do Jon's luthiery course whilst I'm in the UK. Glad to hear he's a nice guy :)

Keep us updated with pics :D
  4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Congrats! I think you'll be happy. I know I'm happy with my two Shukers.
  5. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I have tried some shuker basses in the musikmesse, they are very good instruments and don't cost that much for what they offer !
  6. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    how about some pictures of other people shukers? i found your thread on your basses robert, but all the pics were gone from wehn the site changed.
  7. 6 string demon, there are loads of pics over at Jons site (don't worry about the name, not a guitar in site!)

many great examples of the models he makes.

8. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    How much is this beauty gonna cost you?
  9. Feda, i'd rather not give the exact price. but i'll say this.

a Stingray 5 costs MORE.....

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

That is one nice top, congrads. Figured maple on Swamp Ash is a favorite combo of mine, you have great taste ;)
  11. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Wow, i thought customs cost alot more then that!
  12. Feda. usually they do. thats why i chose Jon to make the bass, he offers exeptional value for money. but it's not at the cost of sound or build quality.

13. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    i like his stuff, but the prices confuse me, what exactly is the translation in American currency.
  14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    One of mine is on Jon's site. Click on Bolt On, then Custom, and the 6 with the amboyna burl top (sorta reddish-orangish-brown) and matching wood knobs is mine.
  15. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If the US dollar wasn't so horrible of an exchange rate right now, I might consider getting a bolt-on. Those basses look amazing!
  16. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Those definitly seem like good value. I bet overseas shipping costs would cost a pretty penny.
  17. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    1 GBP usually gets between $1.50 & 1.80 so you won't see the exchange rate get much better than it is now! :)

Even after the adjustment, Shuker's bass prices seem quite decent.

Does any UK forumites know if those prices include VAT and if so, can you get VAT removed from a sale to an out of country sale? That'd be what, 17.5% off?
  18. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    When I bought mine, the rate was something like 1.48 to the pound, so it does make a difference. Even so, at whatever it is now (1.80 or so?), the basses are excellent value.

The prices *don't* include VAT AFAIK. What was cited on the site was what I paid.
  19. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Jon prefers to do it overnight; 3 day or whatever apparently doesn't save you much. Figure $250-300.