Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My custom six string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marlat, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Finally got access to a digital camera! Here are some pics of my six string..

Its made by an Australian luthier using mostly native Australian timbers for the body.

Im sorry I dont have any webspace to host the images!

Bass body:

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    full bass

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    bass back

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    headstock

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Rearend:

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Very neat!

Got a Jerzy Drozd sort of vibe to it. Pretty cool bass, and looks like it's top notch in the quality department.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats a really nice bass!

8. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    It looks terrific.

Would you make a brief description of it and post some clips ?

9. whoa! that's really nice! i think what i like best about it is the look of the contours, particularly scooping up the front of the top horn in the second pic(know what i mean?)
    the contours just work so well with the shape; that bass is a class act!!!

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Very nice!

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The specs are as follows:

Body:

Tasmanian blackwood core
    Jarrah accents
    Camphorlaural top and back (with matching headstock)

The blacks lines on the top are just ebony accents and do not form part of the neck.

Neck:

11 piece flamed maple with ebony, wenge and bubinga laminates.
    Ebony fongerboad

Hardware:

Hishot ultralite tuners
    Hipshot "type A bridge"
    Brass nut

Electronics:
    Alembic narrow apature pickups with signature electronics (vol pan with a filter and Q swtich for each pickup)

Its a 35inch scale with a very thin neck profile (which I love).

I dont have any clips at the momemnt, ill see if I can work out how to record on to the PC.

12. Damn that looks nice.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Very nice. I like the way the accent lines on the top look like the neck, but the grain of the top carries across the neck. Reminiscent of Jerzy Drozd body style.

P.S. i f you cut your strings to go four inches past the tuning peg, you won't end up with a big pile o' barbed wire on your pegs.

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Yes I meant to disclaimer the string winding when I posted the pictures.

15. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    man that looks damn nice! how does it sound, have you played it? im interested in the sound man, all them aussie woods would sound pretty neat

have fun

16. Very cool!

17. Man! That is one of the most beautiful instruments I've ever seen and I've seen a lot!

The way the carving is done on the lower horn and the cool way the body bevel is angular rather than just rounded is a very nice touch.

Those wood grains! Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!

Could you please compare the sound of your bass / woods, to American woods...walnut, mahogany, maple, ash, alder, etc.? If you're not that familiar with them, how about a comparison with a brand of bass-in general.

Once again, congratulations on such a fine purchase/possesion!

18. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Tha Thunder down Under ay?

I wish I lived in Australia....

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Ill see if I can work some sound clips out. However, the Aussie woods, mostly the Blackwood and the Camphorlaurel, ive been told, are similar to ash. Given its a maple neck though, the sound is probably most comparable to a Ken Smith / Alembic modern hifi tone. However the Alembic electronics are very flexible and really do allow a lot of variation in the tone. It is pretty easy to go from a very hifi clean tone to a midrangey growl with the a turn of the filter and a pan of the pickup towards the bridge.

The luthier, Neil Kennedy, bassed the design / sound of a Ken Smith, but preferred the sound of the Alembic electronics, thats how the combination came about. He swore he had never seen Jerzy Drozd basses before and qas quite surprised when I showed him a picture of them! (My bass was built in 1999).

Certainly the Australian native timbers are fanatastic for figuring and interesting grain patterns. I would certainly recommend anyone looking for an interesting top to consider figured camphourlaurel...and it smells nice too!

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    very nice looking instrument - cool top contouring. let me add my vote to hear some sound clips, i'd like to hear that thing in action.