Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My custom Walkabout has arrived!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    So I ordered a custom Walkabout 2 weeks ago, and was told it would take about 6-8 weeks, due to the popularity of the amp. Those guys at Mesa must have bumped me up to the front of the list or something, because it's already here! Hoo-boy! Two Boogie scores in one week!

This is covered in crocodile embossed black leather, with a wicker grille. The leather is really nice; it has a nice glossy finish and feels great to the touch. The wicker grille sets the black off quite nicely methinks. I guess I could have gone for a different color or something, but I think this has a sort of understated classiness. Plus it smells nice!

This thing is crazy loud for a 12" combo. Much bassier than I was expecting, and it's pretty smooth sounding. The tube breaks up quite nicely, although the mids aren't as agressive as I normally like (like on my old Boogies). But this thing will be great for schlepping around town; I can even bring it on the bus!

With all apologies to Mr. Nerve, here's some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I love the alligator skin. That is just classy. If only they would have made the amp box black with silver lettering and knobs. That would have completed it. Oh, and you MUST get a blue or purple jewel for the power light.

3. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    Beeeea-uty!

I just played a Walkabout head for the first time on Wednesday...I loved it...I covet thy amplification equipment!

4. wow, that is really quite gorgeous. Cheers and Congrats!

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Wow, maybe you can order my Powerhouse 1000 for me :).

6. doesn't it come with a purple jewel for the pilot light?

robb.

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Looks like a red one in there, to me. I think you should go with blue. And get blue ones for the 300 and 400, too, so they'll all match that stupid little one on the Strat 500.

8. Nice Triaxis.
    (Green with envy)

I've got a little 35 watt practice amp that has now surpassed it's usefullness and have been looking at the scouts (my little condo already filled with stuff for 3 kids won't accomodate a big monster.)

Thanks for the pics. Think the folks at Mesa would accept my first born for a custom job of my own?

JJ-My girls are priceless. :D

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Man, that thing looks sweet! I want one. Nice score, dude.

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Nope, it's red. I could always put a purple one on there, though. Might look nice, methinks.

11. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Damn thats nice!

Is it possible to add an extension 12' speaker to the Scout? If it is, I might have to start paying attention to them! :)

12. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    12' speaker would be pretty damn huge :), but if you meant 12" of course it is, it's the walkabout head inside of a enclosure.

13. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    That looks just amazing! The Walkabout combos sound killer. So much low end from such a small combo. I don't need it...I don't need it...

14. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    wow- that is purty. it's nice to see a custom amp once in awhile.

15. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I feel the funk come upon me just lookin at that sweet little box of bassdom.... love it dude.... :hyper:

16. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    curse you... i was just drooling at the mesa website and the have some delicious options for those combos. i love the red lizard with the tan grilles... more g.a.s. (sigh) oh well, how many kidneys does one man need? ;)

17. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah, you can get them in 8 or 4 ohms. If you want to add a 12" cab (they make them), get the 8 ohm version. Mine's a 4 ohm because I was planning on using it by itself. It's crazy loud anyway, so I doubt I would need an extension cab.

And yes, it puts out alot of bass. So much so, I don't touch the bass knob, just leave it flat. Any more is too much.

18. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yup. Stock.

19. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    oh my!!!!! that is sooo awsome looking!!! Im looking at a scout+extention cab. The skin would destroyed in a matter of months considering the places i play at. Im stickin' to the plain ol black on black.

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Very nice looking Scout! I just got my Walkabout back from having some mods done to it. I added a Speakon output, as well as a 1/4" line out so that I can drive another power amp and send a DI to the house PA at the same time. I much prefer the solid connection of the Speakon, as with my heavy duty speaker cables, the weight of them pulling on the 1/4" jack would sometimes lead to intermittent cutouts.

I agree that swapping out the tubes in the Walkabout can yield some subtle, but definitely beneficial results. If you are interested, search the archives for my tube shootout for my Walkabout.

You guys have me thinking about getting a blue or purple jewel for my Walkabout's power on light. Any suggestions on where I might be able to pick one up?

Later, Tom.