My customized Fender Jazz 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jzkorppi, Oct 20, 2002.

1. So, here's the deal. Once, a long long time ago I bought a Fender american deluxe jazz bass, 5-string that is, with a natural finish. In 2001 when I had a proper collection of custom basses I decided to do something to my Fender 5. I didn't have the heart to sell it, so I started customizing it.

First I removed the active electronics and ordered passive electronics and pickups from Villex (Basically, a Villex system has the same output rate as an active system, but it doesn't need batteries). Then I had the body and headstock sanded and took them to be painted (I designed sort of an oriental dragon ornament that covers the whole body and headstock) I had the body painted so that the pickguard could still remain.

So, the problem is pickguard-related. I got bored to it and decided to remove it. The painted pattern still looks cool but the bloody screw holes piss me of. Here are my options (the ones I could think of):

A) I could fill the holes with a chemical wood compound and strike some finishing lacquer on

B) I could visit my local carpenter and ask him to make a maple pickguard that fits to the original wood pattern

C) I could just leave it the way it is now

So, give me your heavy opinion or your alternative option!
  2. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    From your desciption, I'm assuming that the painted dragon design also extends throughout the area under the pick guard. I'd pick either your scenario A) I could fill the holes with a chemical wood compound and strike some finishing lacquer on; or my scenario D) get a clear pick guard.

Can you post a pic?
  3. Actually, the dragon ornament is just painted around it...otherwise I would have removed the pickguard ealier. And it looks kind of silly when there's an empty space with some holes around it.... and the holes just bug me... But I'll post a picture as soon as I get a digital camera or scanner in my use...:) Patience...