1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My dad came in and dropped a bomb on me...dropped his credit card in my lap...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flareaga, Feb 20, 2008.

1. flareaga

flareaga

Mar 1, 2007
    "Get what you want, and get it now."

Now I said I was looking at a used Stingray I found on a local message board. It was a used 2001 for $800 + shipping, case included with it. There are some cracks in the finish and minor fretwear from giggin...(it IS 7 years old...) but otherwise it looks fine. It's a 5er, which I'm used to. I've been playing a Schecter C5, and it just wasn't cutting it...I can't slap easy on it, especially after playing my friends J bass. And I don't like the pickups, or just the general sound from the bass.

The J was the most comfortable thing I have ever played when my friend let me use it for a set (It was a normal Jazz bass), however...and The Geddy Lee jazz looks so temping I love the sound, the looks, the fact that my favorite bass player uses one...

but a Stingray is one of the best (or at least most expensive) "Mass produced" basses, and a lot of people used them, Flea, the guy from Chevelle, Dinosaur Jr's bass player used one from time to time...ugh I don't know what to do!!

I play all types of music, from Jazz to Metal, so I'll just have to make due if the 'Ray can' do jazz and the Ged can't do metal..

UGH but choices choices. The Geddy Lee is about the Same price (remember when it was in the 600's? ahh good times)

Any opinions or ideas would help, thanks. Anyone who has played both I would be glad to hear.

And thank you so much, this is very important...this could decide my main bass for a long time.

2. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    Who says the Geddy can't do metal? Personally I would go with the Fender, since I'm gassin for one and I don't really like the feel or look of Stingray's.

3. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

GOD... BLESS... AMERICA ! :smug:

:D

Seriously, get the J.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Both can do metal or anything else for that matter. A Stingray can very close to a Jazz rear pickup sound. Get the Stingray. If you don't like it, sell it for a used Geddy Lee and give some money back to your Dad.:eyebrow:

5. MrSexy

MrSexy

Jul 10, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Can I be adopted?

6. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Man, what in the world did you do to deserve your fathers credit card? i need some tips for mommy!

why not get a Stringray HH?

that way you can have all the pickup selection you need!

7. ShirazBop

ShirazBop Gold Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    J over the Ray

8. +1!

Buy what you want, if you don't like it, sell it and buy option B.

9. keeping with a rhyme scheme,

J all the way.

10. Putting money aside, what do YOU want

Id rather have a bass I wanted tone wise, and feel, over something that is more money but didn't quite feel right to me.

Money can't buy you love!

11. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    The only issue I can see with this would be the comfort factor... the 'Ray has a thicker neck than the Geddy. Its not huge, but if he loves the comfort of the GL Jazz, the 'Ray may not scratch that itch.

The solution to me would be to buy a Sterling HS or HH. You get Jazz-ish playability and EBMM tone. It doesn't sound exactly like a 'Ray, but it still sounds like a Musicman. Its just as versatile as a 'Ray or a Jazz as well. I think its your best bet here.

And you need to tell your dad how cool he is.....daily!!!

12. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    Uh...+100 for me..you're dad's cool.

Get a bass that suits your tastes. Keep it at a reasonable price...play more than a few before deciding what to buy. An $800.00 price tag is pretty reasonable, and you could find any quality bass for that price.

Good luck!

13. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Very insightful. Definitely worth looking into, IMO.

14. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    +1

J any day

15. I say go with a nice Jazz bass.

16. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I don't think I'd buy either.

A friend picked up a used Stingray 5 a few months back and I really didn't like it. He loved it, I thought it was a very average guitar. And the last US Jazz I had literally fell to bits in 6 months of gigging.

If I had to have humbuckers I'd get a G&L L2000/2500, and if I had to have a Jazz I'd want an '80s Tokai.

17. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i'd hit the J. hard.

or, keeping with the trend:

J's all you'll play
    J deserves play
    get play with a J
    a roll in the hay with a J is a good day.

18. StingRay.

19. I 2nd that.

JazzBasses.

20. Buy a Sadowsky!