Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My dad died...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Pacman, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Brothers and sisters,

My dad died Sunday, and I wanted to share. He lost a tough fight with Leukemia, after having been in remission for a year. It came back and took him in about 3 weeks. We were having a big party (to say goodbye), and he died with his whole family (wife, mother, children, grandchildren - even his puppy) right there with him. No regrets for us - we had our chances to say I love you and goodbye -but I wanted to share what my dad meant to me. So if you'll indulge me...

My father taught me what it is to be a man.
    Through his actions, not his words, he showed me things I wouldn’t understand until later in life – when I would need them the most.

He taught me that knowledge is more important than education, and the thirst for knowledge is more important than either.

He taught me to do something you love, because being happy is more important than money.

My father taught me to work hard, do the very best you can at what you do, and strive to be the best you can be. "If you do something," he’d say, "do it right." At the end of the day, the only thing others can know about you is how well you do your job, and how well you treat others.

He taught me to treat others well.

My father taught me what it is to be honest. Even when it’s difficult, being truthful is the honorable thing to do.

He taught me to stand up for what you believe in. For yourself, for your family, and for those who cannot stand up for themselves.

My father taught me the importance of commitment. When you make a promise, you keep it. Pure and simple.

He taught me to provide for my family. Food and shelter are easy, time is much more difficult, and much more important.

Most importantly, he taught me to laugh. Laughter sweetens the good times, makes great memories, and gets us through the toughest of times.

My father didn’t talk a lot during his life, but he gave me many lessons. Most of them I was too young, too stubborn or too proud to listen to at the time. He didn’t stop teaching, and I’m glad to say he didn’t give up. I hope he understood that somewhere along the line, they sank in. I get it now, Dad.

If anyone is really feeling inclined, please go donate a pint of blood. My pop recieved so many blood products in his fight, and they really made his life bearable. Failing that, you could always donate to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Association.

Life is short, LiveStrong.

2. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    You did a great job expressing your feelings towards him in your post. You are lucky to have had such a great dad.

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Good stuff Pacman. Judging by you, your father was a great father.

4. I'm sorry for your loss Pac...

5. That is probably the most true and beautiful thing I'll read this year. I'm not sure you realize how many people can relate. Sorry for your loss, man.

Mike

6. The important part is that you were able to share that.

7. Amen to what baba said.

I'm sure that reading those words would have made your Dad proud.

My condolences for your loss.

8. Aqueousillusion

Aqueousillusion

Feb 8, 2005
    I am so sorry for your loss, kudos to you for your way of remembering your father.

9. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That is a very moving tribute to your Dad, Jon. I'm sure he would be very proud to read that, and I'm sure he must have been proud of you as a son.

With my Mom terminally ill, I have had the opportunity to contemplate what the loss of a parent will feel like. I'm sure nothing can really prepare one, though. I wish you the best in moving forward with this loss, and wish the best to your family, as well.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    :( I'm very sorry for your loss.

On a good note, it seems that your father will live on in you and your family forever!!!!!

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Oh God Jon, I'm really sorry to hear that. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My condolences to you and your family Pac.

13. Wise words 1+

It seems that you had a good relationship with your dad. Last sunday our neighbour died . That reminded me once again about the importance of the family. Life is short after all :(

My condolences

14. Sorry to hear that Pacman.......I can't imagine losing my dad...... :-(

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sorry to hear it, my friend, but I'm glad you got to say your goodbye.

brad cook

16. Sorry to hear. Good lessons though, and everybody can learn from them.

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm so sorry to hear this tragic news! :bawl:

My condolences to you and your family.

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Awww man. This is sad news. Reading your notes there sent chills down my spine. Very inspiring, and it even brought a tear to my eye.

Thank you for sharing. I hope better days are to come for you and your family.

-Mike

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    He taught you very well. Sounds like my dad.

20. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Sorry to hear about your father. I know what you mean about being able to say goodbye...it was important to me with my dad too.

Marshall