Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My dad is spying on me. (Computer whizzes?)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by relman, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Ok, so my dad asked me to please stop smoking pot at least until i me and him spoke to a doctor. A couple of weeks later my dad found a little bottle of Visine (i actually do get red eyes once in a while) and has since then never trusted me again. True, i have lied to him before, but now he has no reason to spy on me. I really don't want him to find out about what my girlfriend and I do, and I want to be able to talk to my friends about anything without feeling watched.

He's doing this through a program that allows him to see the text i have written on MSN messenger. Is there any way of blocking this???

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Options at this level:

1.- change IM software (to ICQ-AIM-Whatever) (Difficult: 1)
    2.- Invent some new language with your friends (Difficult: 5)
    3.- Be honest with dad (you'll hear this one a lot on the next posts)
    4.- Comedy "Spy your dad and blackmail him back" Option

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    1 will not help if dad uses a keylogger.
    The rest is true though...blocking won't help, he'll get suspicious if nothing is logged anymore or the keylog program/process is terminated by you.

4. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    Find out what he's using, and uh, disable it. You could always look thru like every file on the computer or something.

5. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    A program like a keylogger has to be running to record keystrokes, correct? Therefore, it ought to register in the task manager. See if you can find it there.

6. At the risk of appearing to be preaching, I can offer you this advise from the perspective of a parent with teenagers. I don't know if you'll understand this, but, as a parent, there's nothing worse than being lied to by your child. You need to take the initiative and have a sit-down son to father talk with your dad. You need to convince him that you are deserving of his trust. Unfortunately, it seems you've given him reason not to trust you, and inpsite of the fact that you would just as soon have him get off of your back and let you run wild, dad is legally responsible for you, and it's even possible that he feels he needs to "watch over you" because he actually loves you . Why don't you tell him that although you have lied to him before, he now has no reason to spy on you, and explain to him why that is. Tell him that you want to be able to talk to your friends about anything without feeling watched. Then, listen to him when he responds, and take it from there. Just remember that he was a teenager once, and with his help and vigilance, you might grow up to be a father one day.

7. ok here it goes, sigh, a parent talking here. ok. i am a mom of two boys. ok. here is all i can really say. you say you do not want your dad to find out what you and your girlfriend are doing. hmmmmm. tends to go on the needing to be watched statement. he obviously loves you enough to worry about you. he obviously thinks the world of you to worry about you. he obviously cares enough about you to want you to be safe. if you have lied to him before, well, as the saying goes, you have to earn his trust back. and that is hard to do if you are still doing things you should not be doing. if i found my sons smoking pot and lying to me and doing god knows what, yes, i would watch, listen, and set some very fine thin ground rules to follow. be glad he lets you chat. i would not if i had that happening in my home. we, as parents, have to protect our kids until they decide to use good judgement toward themselves. so give him a break. talk to him. and be happy he loves you that much. because he obviously does.:)

8. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    If he is using key logger than he is also reading everything you type in this thread.:eek:

BUSTED!

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's the short version of Xavier's mini-sermon.

Sure he has reason to spy on you. You are a confessed pot-smoking liar. You need to do what you have to do to regain the trust that you so thoughtlessly abused.

10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    relman, being that you're 17, the only thing that's keeping you from being classified as an adult is a couple of months. You and only you can decide if you want to smoke pot or not, though if you're living in your parents house they have a right to not have you have the stuff in their house. I think you should respect that right. As for spying, that gets real touchy, if you were a 14 year old I MIGHT think differently about it, but under the current circumstances, I think your father is wrong. It would be in your best interest to just stop talking about things that you don't want to share with your father on the computer, a real simple solution.

11. Oliphaunt

Oliphaunt

May 30, 2002
    I think you need to be more honest with your father.

But without bringing that into it, you COULD communicate using copy and paste.

Make a list of words and phrases.

Or just don't use messages. I don't.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Either way you're still a minor. He's doing this because he doesn't trust you. Everyone knows why. I'm thinking you should be extra glad that you have a dad who asked you to please stop smoking pot. That you have a dad who even lets you use a computer.

How do you feel about Aguilar's recent price increase?;)

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    This is where he goes back to edit his post-

"Hey guys, did I ever tell you how cool my dad is? He's the greatest guy in the world!"

Although, I suppose that wouldn't work either... the first one is already logged. Wow, that sucks.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If I thought my dad had a keylogger, I'd go to absolutely insane sites, and talk on MSN about how much I love kicking pregnant women in the stomach, worshiping satan, and orgies.

15. Just a statement to you adults who have said that you would do the same to your kids as well....if I knew my dad was keylogging all of my conversations, I wouldn't trust him whatsoever. Now don't get me wrong, my dad is an awesome guy and I wouldn't trade him for anything, but there are certain boundaries *no one* should cross. The "hes only looking in your best interest" doesn't apply here, IMO. This is invasion of privacy, which isn't tolerable. Didn't you learn eavesdropping was bad when you were a kid?

16. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    5 - give up the munjibunga..

17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Word. i don't like invasion of space, but seeing as how turned 18 back on the 4th, i don't take much crap anymore. I mean, i see somethings, like having drugs in your parents house, they have the right to not want that stuff in THEIR house. but when you turn an age when you can move out, if you had the funds and a good job, their should be some increase in respect and/or private space.

18. I am 18 years old...May 31, 1984

the thing is, yes, i do understand the situation he's been put into (i often have to take care of my brother like a father would). I told him i would never lie again to him and so far i haven't. However, i do have the right to privacy, which he is not giving me.

19. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    MATT .. YOU ARE A STUPID GENIOUS!
    You seriously are.. your my hero!

20. I've had a key-logger on the kids, and my computer for 5 years now. When I installed it, I announced to all of them that I was installing it, and why I was doing so. They were welcome to stop using the computer if they felt I was invading their privacy.