1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Dadgum Tinkerin'!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Jun 8, 2001.

  1. Gabu


    Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Heading away from this:


    Towards this:


    New cab has 2x8" speakers instead of 1x6.5. It being tuned to 31hz (Thanks very much BGAVIN for your help!!!) and since the 2 speakers bring the ohmage back to 4 ohms (instead of the 8 ohms before) I am able to take full advantage of my 12w amps power. Long Beach arena, here I come!! (This amp actually has a speaker out jack so I should be able to build one more cab as a extension cab, then have 4x8" speakers with about 20w. I will wrap it up this weekend and post a new picture. Anyone know how to put "tolex" on a box? :)
  2. Unbelievable, man. :D

    That rocks!

  3. notduane


    Nov 24, 2000
    Contact cement and a lotta' patience?

    If ya' DO go with c/cement, be sure to work in a well-
    ventilated...what?...dudE! tHAt is liKe sooOoo kEw-el! [​IMG]
  4. Munjibunga

    Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

    May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you cover it with BFS (black fuzzy stuff), you don't have to put all that wood filler on it. Anyway, I use 3M spray adhesive (the stronger, $11 per can stuff) to glue on the BFS. Buy enough covering to do it two or three times. Practice makes perfect.
  5. Gabu


    Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    That seems cool. It's what is on the original cab... What kind of shop can I buy stuff like that in? Do I have to get it online, or could I buy it in some audio / hardware / craft stores?

    Any recommendation of store chains or websites?

  6. Chasarms

    Chasarms Casual Observer

    May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I know Michael's Arts and Crafts sells the spray stuff. I don't know where you live, but they are a national chain. I guess any art supply store would have it.

    Also, if you could borrow a router and round over the edges before you cover it, it'll look a lot neater and your covering will last longer.

    As small as that cab is, you could do it with sand paper.

  7. Munjibunga

    Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

    May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Home Depot, man. Gray or black fuzzy stuff, 3M spray adhesive.
  8. http://www.penn-fabrication.com

    Ozite makes BFS in both standard and premium grades. Check out their ERO Ensemble stuff. Penn sells both grades, about $7.33 per yard, 72" width for premium stuff. $50 minimum order for both Penn and TCH, or a $10 surcharge applies. Parts Express for connectors, etc. Penn can beat PE for Neutrik stuff, and their grilles are half the price also.

    Rounding the edges is good advice. You can get all the corner pieces, etc, at Penn as well. They are my first choice. Fast ship, too. I'd suggest going online and having them send you a paper catalog. The Penn website fails if you are behind firewall, as they use some STUPID oddball HTTP port.

    Q: why 8" drivers?

    I have rearranged my site, and if you go to:


    You will have directory access to my entire reference library, design programs, etc etc etc.
  9. Gabu


    Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    In order to keep it as low as possible. I still want this under my desk and every inch is counting! I have picked up my materials... including the 3M spray... But it seams that they neglected to fill the container with compressed air... :( But in any case... I am still on schedule for a finished product this weekend!! :D

Share This Page