Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My DBX (GWAR) Experience...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Last night (September 6, 2002), my friend and I drove for about 2 hours to see the band, DBX. I wore my Oderus costume as a tribute to Dave and the band. Brockie was surprised to see "himself" there (he asked me, "What am I doing here?") and talked with me for a little bit about my "bad-ass" costume, before telling me he had to get a picture with me before the night was through. My friend and I then went to the other side of the bar and had a few drinks. Several people asked if they could take a picture of me or with me and at least two people thought I was actually in GWAR! I got to meet Brad (Jizmak) and Mike (Balsac) as well and all three of them were super cool guys. I was afraid they would be a little pissed at me for "biting off of them," but they all seemed to appreciate my costume for what it was -- a tribute to my all-time favorite band.

Just before DBX was about to start their set, my friend and I went up front, about three people back from the stage. When the band came out, the first words out of Dave's mouth were, "We'd like to thank Oderus for showing up tonight!" The crowd went nuts and people tipped their beers to me. DBX played a few songs and then Dave said, "How do we sound, Oderus? You know, you look taller in the movies!" I did my best Oderus schtick and again the crowd cheered. About four or five songs from the end of their set, Dave leaned toward me and asked, "Dude, do you know the words to 'Fish F***'?" Of course I did, so Dave yelled into the mic, "Then get your ass up here!" Holy man! I was about to sing a GWAR song with 3/5 of the members of GWAR! Dave told me not to be nervous and just follow him, but as soon as I started singing, he backed off the mic and it was all me, baby! After the song was over, Dave shook my hand and told me that, "I kicked ass." A few of the people in the crowd also complimented me on my performance. I was so stoked -- I felt like an 8-year-old kid on Christmas morning! After their set was over, as Dave and I were waiting to have our picture taken, he told me that as soon as I started singing, he knew I knew the song and he just let me do my thing. Brad (Jizmak) also told me that I did really well. I felt like I was given one of the coolest gifts anyone could get, by three of the coolest guys I've ever met.

As soon as I sign off, I am going to take my film to the developers and (assuming that everything turns out) will post pics here when I get them back. I also heard that two people got the whole ordeal on video, so Dave, myself and the owner of the bar we were at (Vnuk's) are going to try to track at least one of them down. I had such a great time -- I highly recommend that, if and when DBX is in your area, you check 'em out! Oh yeah, go see GWAR when they come around on their Halloween tour as well! That is all.

EDIT: Had someone told me in 1991, when I started getting into GWAR, that sometime in the future I'd be singing one of their songs, with members of the band, I would never have believed them! I hope this doesn't make me sound like a weird, geeky, slobberin' fan, but if it does -- who cares -- I had a blast!

:D :D :D :)

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Holy ass, dude that's really cool. I must say that I am hella jealous. And no you don't sound like an 8 year old fan to me, I'd be giddy as a schoolgirl too. But unfortunatly, I don't know the words to fish ****. I love Gwar, but I haven't listened to them enough to memorize any lyrics... maybe sick of you... nah, not all of it. I know almost all the words to have you seen me... I love that jazzy intro. Cool Band... and cool story. Congrats man.

3. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Thanks, Matt! Don't be jealous -- good things will happen to you too, if you train hard, say your prayers and take your vitamins -- and build yourself a foam costume!

;)

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I gotta see some pictures of the suit. How long did you spend on it?

5. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    That's awesome!

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Wow! You lucky bastard!:)

8. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I had to go back for this first one -- I think someone from Wal-Mart processing stole it from me (it was the only picture out of about 25 that I didn't get and when I went back and had them develop it, there didn't seem to be any reason that it wasn't developed in the first place!). No pictures of me singing, because I had the camera with me when I went onstage (dammit!). I am trying to get a hold of any other pictures of the event, or a videotape or two, as I heard that two seperate people had video cameras there.

Without any further ado...

[​IMG]

9. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Clark Kent meets Superman...

[​IMG]

10. that is a sweet costume. I would wear it to work.

11. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Thanks, munkeycharmz! I think I'm gonna wear it the next time I mow my lawn!

Actually, I don't think the pictures do it justice. For some reason the foam around the eye holes gets "weird" when a camera is near.

12. Wow Dave looks so clean cut.

13. DUDE!!! That is, by far, with out a doubt, the coolest anecdotal reference to GWAR I've ever had the pleasure to read!

You are so lucky! Which all reminds me to get my ass back to work on my Beefcake Suit! Hopefully I can have it finished by the GWAR Halloween shows.

That is very, very cool! I'm green with envy, either that or I ate some racid mexican food tonight. ;)

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I was thinking that too! I was expecting him to look a little "metalish" but he looks uhmmm... surfcore?! :confused: :eek:

15. That is so incredibly cool! Did they do that Princess Di song? Heheh!
    Man, what a great story! The coolest thing is that they were so flattered and it made for a memorable experience for all of you!
    ~Ad

16. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I'm hoping that Dave and the guys will remember me when I see GWAR on Halloween night.

Here's a tip for all you would-be GWAR fans: Get to know what the guys look like when they're not in their costumes -- if you can give 'em a nod or something before the show (and if you're close enough to the front), you're GWARanteed to get an extra dose of goop when they first take the stage!

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    But the goop is only "cool" when things heat up, it's funny because when I saw Gwar I was like, "hmmmm, boy, Mike Tyson's blood sure is cold." But then later I was like, "Hey, hit me with some of the Pope's blood."

18. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Here's an excerpt from an interview with David "Oderus Urungus" Brockie, posted at thegrimoire.com: "This one guy shows up at a show in Milwaukee dressed up like Oderus Urungus – pretty nice job, actually – but he showed up with the costume on a good four hours before the doors were open and waited around another four hours after they were opened – wore the goddamn thing for about ten hours straight. I felt complimented, but I really felt embarrassed for him at the same time, and then ultimately embarrassed for myself."

[​IMG]

For the record, it wasn't four hours, it was only two...

:D

19. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Dude, that is way cool experience.