Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My debut recording. (http download=quick and easy!)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Hello all. This is my first actual 'recording' that I've taken seriously as a solo bass piece. It's also my first attempt at layering multiple tracks. Here is a bassline, "guitar part" and melody of a song some of you may be familiar with. :cool:

You may even want to play it as mood music to get her in the mood. ;)

I used a Modulus Flea Bass with four strings, direct into my Ampeg SVT5-PRO and then direct into an M-audio mobile pre and put the tracks together with audacity. My only issue is that I dropped the beat in the very beginning when the solo starts up. Oh well, it's hardly noticeable to most.

Click here to listen.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That's none too shabby. The lead bass part is kinda messy though, in that, it feels 'weak' compared to the other parts. Also, there is some awkward punching in it sounds like, here and there. It's not bad, a little dull at parts in general, it has a nice meditative quality too it, that is disrupted by incongruous playing quirks here and there, but on the whole, it's nice.

3. Ah yes. There is one punch in that irritates me. I had to cut out a little click that somehow found its way in, and i ended up having to push back a note about 1/64th, hah, but it's noticeable. Thanks for the feedback.

4. Wow,I love this. Big fan of this song,and a big fan of your tone. May I ask you the manditory-lame question: how'd you know what to play for the main Melody/lead? Do you have sheet for it? Or do you have a sweet ear?

5. I already knew the bassline, just by listening to it, the bassline isn't too complicated. I know that the bassist in said band follows the bass of the guitar in that song, so I just played the bass notes an octave higher and used 3rds and 5ths to fill out the harmony.

6. .

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I would appreciate not bumping threads until they have passed beyond the 1st page, it is kind of obnoxious otherwise. (I apologize if this thread did reach page 2, I haven't been paying THAT much attention, regardless, that's my rule)

8. it was an accidental post that i edited cause it wasn't necessary. sorry i wasn't clear.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You do know you can delete posts right?

10. OMG U CAN LEIK THAN I KAN DELETE THIS ONE!

;) <3 WR

Edit: by the way - good job on figuring out the main melody - 3rd and 5ths,why didn't I think of that?!

11. Yes yes, minor third and stays the same throughout

12. Xanaptabil

Xanaptabil

Jul 18, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Not bad. I like to see bassists messing with electronics. How long have you been playing.

13. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Not bad, nice melody.

14. About a year and a half

15. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    The lead part should have more treble and be more open, IMO.

-Eric.

16. What do you mean by more open?

17. I think... no... I know that I'm the only person who can't figure out the song.

And I couldn't be more sad :( .

BTW, love the recording!

~Ryan

18. It was only #1 on the charts for a few weeks, come on now!!