Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my design

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brian v2.0, Apr 4, 2004.

1. i've been sketching out designs for basses recently. Unfortunately they have all remained sketches because i'm not sure how to make them on a computer. I did however take a picture of my favorite design sketch, lemme know what you think.

keep in mind i've never done any guitar/bass designing before so be gentle and gimme any pointers you can, thanks :D

edited to add that this is not drawn completely to scale so the neck looks kind of funny. but you get the idea

2. Brian, you've got something going on there but it's awful hard to tell just what it is. My advice comes from wonderful art teacher I had when I was young (God bless you Ms. Wolfe!) She preached it loud and clear and it's carried me through a design career for many years...

FILL THE PAGE!!

There is so much about good design that draws from the sum of it's small points. To a musician each is a little gem in a larger pile. Some we like better than others. It's in seeing all the details and weighing that against our personal holy grails that we connect with your design. So show it large, show it proud and really think hard about each individual detail and how they contribute to the bigger picture.

Good Luck

3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I like it, it's kind of an upside down jazz singlecut thing but it works. My only criticism is that the top side of the headstock doesn’t really fit the body. Maybe extend it out a little and round it, just not to the extent of the other side.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Neck is kind of crooked :D

Just kidding maybe you could repost it right side up. That would help me critique it

5. Its a good start.

I'm a Design Major and I realize not everyone can draw, I know putting on paper what you have in your head IS difficult... even more so if you're not an artist. No offense, but what you've got looks more like a doodle than a sketch.. I would blow it up as Hambone suggested, even annotate it, do more detailed sketches of specific parts of the bass like the headstock and the body (since it looks like you've got some nice wood detailing there).

As for the shape, I do think its got potential and it looks like you've thought about it quite a bit.. Do you build basses? Or do you hope to have someone build one from your specs?

Definately keep it up!

6. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    It looks to be a modded explorer. Or reverse Jaguar. You could try to find detailed pics of explorer and round out the body shapes based on that. I'm digging it! I might steal that shape... ;)

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I agree, I wouldn't buy one because of the F#$%ed up truss rod :p.. I'm not sure if adjusting it would help that poor best.

Just kidding, great design man.

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    A few practical points to consider:

- With the single cut and the extended hump at the back, that's a lot of wood. You shouldn't have any problems with neck dive on the bass but it might be heavy enough to give you a bad back! If you're thinking of a solid body, it might be worth shrinking the size (and, thus, weight) down a bit.

- I like the 'pointy finger' effect of the headstock but it increases the length of the bass, especially with the additional extension at the other end, mentioned above. What would be the total length and would that make it hard to find a suitable case for the instrument?

- Asymmetric basses look great but they can be a pain if you forget to take your specially adapted guitar stand on the gig with you, especially with the extremes your picture suggests.

You will see one or more of these considerations disregarded on many fine instruments but "form follows function" is a mantra that's worth at least considering before you throw it out, especially if you're looking at a design for a practical working tool and not just eye candy that looks good when nailed to the wall.

Wulf

9. Diek

Diek

May 25, 2003
    It looks pretty good, but it looks like it's only a small sketch. Before you get excited about having a good design, draw it out full size. Carefully measure out the neck width and scale length scale length, then draw the body to match. I've drawn many sketches on notebook paper, only to find they didn't work when drawn full size. You can get a roll of butcher paper or postal wrap (enough for dozens of drawings) for only a few bucks.