Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my designs... what do you think? [FREAKING HUGE PIC! be warned]

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by g00eY, Mar 10, 2006.

1. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

so yea... they are all 4 string designs, 22 fret, 34" scale (roughly). i like 1,3 and 5 the most so far... what do ya'll think?

:)

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    They're all very cool. In my opinion, cut the top half off of two and combine it with the bottom half of three and you have a winner. The top half begs for a bottom that is just a shade wider, and your offest on the bottom of three is pretty cool. :)

3. The horns are spread a little more then my taste allows, but overall they are nice!

4. yeah... I was about to mention that they looked a bit horny to me...:p

they all look pretty good... is that headstock the right size?

seems a bit small to me...

well, keep it up!

5. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    the headstock is definately not the right size, i forgot to add in that you should disregard the headstocks and neck width.

i edited #s 1,3, and 5 - but i can't find my photo editing software...

6. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    [​IMG]

k, so here are the edited versions of 1,3, and 5.

i just traced the top part of 2 onto the bottom of 3, like SuperDuck suggested. i also changed the top horn of 5. it's more JP Plume like, now.

thanks for the replies so far! keep em coming!

7. i like number two, although i'd make the headstock bigger!

8. g00eY,

Will these be neck through or bolt on? Looking at the revised versions, if they will be bolt on, it doesn't look like there is enough neck in the body for stability. However, the original versions (1, 2, 4 & 5) look ok, neck pocket wise.

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, if you ask for critique, you'll get it from me :smug:

The lower horn is unnecessarily long on designs 3 & 4, and they would mostly just be int the way, and present a health hazard, pointy as they are.
    The necks look very thin - is the body so wide or are the necks out of scale?
    That cutaway at the lower side of the butt, beyond being your personal touch as I see it, adds nothing to the functionality, just makes it harder to sculpt (hard to fit power tools into that corner) and takes up space from the electronics compartment. If you are bent on cutaways, why not put it on the upper side? That way, the offset might also help balance.
    Oh, and I'd like to point out that... er... ok, I'll get to the point: they are quite pointy. (pun gallore :smug: )
    I know it's up to you to decide, but I think too much pointyness might make it uncomfortable. (Like the thin upper horn resting against your chest or stomach).
    If they are b-o, as #3&4 suggest, then the neck pocket might be a bit small.

Aside from all these, nice to see that you are trying to come up with something original, and good luck with your build! :cool:

10. id say the top of 4 on the bottom of 1 but it really does matter what the finish/materials will look like, ex. a singlecut les paul in matte purple would just look stupid, and if you have your heart set on using a certain color/top you should put that up to so we can imagine how it would look