1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My dilemma : Bass vs. Viola

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bakjewel, Apr 9, 2009.

1. bakjewel

bakjewel

Mar 6, 2009
    I'm a student who at the moment is tormented by a decision I have to make.

Do I continue playing viola which I played for 4 years or do I ditch it and concentrate on playing the bass guitar(which I played for 1 year now)?

I would like to play both of course... but given the time constraints(I do need to study) and the fact that playing both might end up in me playing neither with proficiency.

I should play the instrument I like better but I really can't decide... they both have their own attractiveness and I happen to have no specific favourite genre.

So this is what I want your opinions on: as I like both instruments equally, it would be better for me to play something that will be useful in my life.

Which will benefit me more in going to and living in college? Bass guitar or viola?

2. ForestThump

ForestThump

Jun 15, 2005
    Paris
    Play both. John Cale did in the Velvet Underground.
    You'll probably get more playing opportunities with bass guitar but you never know. Even if you play viola 15 minutes a day and bass guitar for 45 minutes, if you are well organized you won't regret it.
    I did it with cello and it helped my bass playing quite a bit.

3. Natrix

Natrix

Mar 21, 2009
    Sydney Australia
    I'm just curious to know if you've posted the same question on a Viola website.

4. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    If you like classical... play viola. If you like other kinds of music better.... play bass. If you want to be employed.... play viola. If you want to play in tune.... play bass.

5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Why not switch from viola to string bass? Is that not an option?