1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Dillema - Epifani Quest or LMII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassistloaded21, Mar 24, 2009.

1. bassistloaded21

bassistloaded21 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    So I have a lot of big gigs coming up this summer. One of which is the Rothbury festival, probably the biggest. I played it last year, but i borrowed a Ampeg rig to do it. This year i need to use my own gear. I just bought a UL410 from Kjung, and now im lookin for a head. Im deciding btw a marbass LMII and a epifani Quest with a poweramp. I hear the rave reviews about the LMII, but im thinking, will this small head really be able to keep up in a huge outdoor festival like Rothbury? I know it would be just as a rig for me to hear myself on a stage that large but still, im gonna need some power. My other thoughts, with the Quest setup, i would have to carry a 4space rack, which i dont really mind, but its just an added pain somewhat. Both are pretty much near the same price, im gonna be getting a killer deal on both. Can the LMII keep up outdoors, with PA support. Will the Quest rig be too much for everything else i do? By the way i was planning on getting a carvin dcm 1000 with the quest, running it bridged at 4ohms @ 1000 watts. Any help would be appreciated

2. I know we just PM'd on this, but I thought I'd put some additional thoughts on your thread to get you started.

I gigged that 410UL with the LMII inside and outside on many gigs, and it always kept up nicely. Compared to the 502 I had and used with that cab (which should be quite close to the volume and tone you get with the Quest and that power amp), the 502 was a touch louder and MUCH bigger down low. However, it always sounded a bit unbalanced to me, and the EQ on the Quest/502 is surprisingly limited. Most describe the Quest/502 as big and fat in the low end and a bit 'dark' in the voicing. It has plenty to treble, but that treble is very hi fi, and doesn't seem to be able to quite keep up with the low end voicing of that head IMO.

For outside gigs, the 502 was WONDERFUL, since you need a bit of unbalance (i.e., BIG, powerful lows) to really make a cab sing if you have no walls or ceilings to help (i.e., a big, fat, huge low end is a good thing in that situation).

So, if your PRIMARY reason for buying your head is to have the maximum amount of ooomph for one or two festivals for your on stage monitoring, I guess the Quest and power amp make some sense. It won't be that much louder (additional wattage into a single cab will only get you so much louder), but it will be more full sounding and the slap transients will be more open.

For EVERY other situation, I prefer the LMII all the way. The LMII/410UL is just a GREAT slap tone (which I know is important to you), and it gets loud enough for any gig short of playing outside on a huge stage with no help at all in the monitors.

That probably doesn't help, but I'd go with the LMII all the way, and just make sure you get some help in the monitors for those few very large gigs you do every year!

If you really felt you needed the big wump, I'd prefer the Carvin B1500. It sounds great with that cab, is around $650 new, and puts out massive wattage in three spaces and around 30 pounds. So, something else to think about there.

IMO!

3. bassistloaded21

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sounds like the LMII is where i need to go then i guess. Anyone running the quest have any comment?

4. bassistloaded21

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    anybody else have anything?

5. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    KJung
    What about the F1?

6. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    i have used the LMII on some pretty big stages and it has exceeded my expectations. not quite as big as the rothbury fest, but big none the less. even on big stages, through my berg NV610, i have never gone above 12 or 1 o'clock on the master. i'd expect you'd be pleasantly surprised if you bought an LMII.

7. Also great. Same volume as the LMII, just a little 'brighter and tighter'. Both sound great with that cab IMO, and will pump out the funk in a big way!

8. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    im seriously considering selling off my small cabs and picking up either a UL410 or an AE410. i'm just not sure which one will be the best fit.

OP: mabe I missed it. but what sound are you shooting for?

9. bassistloaded21

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just want my amp to sound like my bass, thats my tone. I think this is the right way to go. I plan on picking up the LMII Friday.

10. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Used MB SD800 at Bassnw.com for 749. Different animal than the LM11 but just throwing it out there.....

11. Great head with the right cab. However, IMO and IME, the SD800 with a 410UL is not my idea of a good time. Loud, deep a sizzly but hard to dial in the punch and warmth that you get 'out of the box' with the LMII.

Now... with the tight, inherently punchy AE410, that's another story with the SD800 IMO and IME!

12. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX

I am not trying to get OT........but I saw last years line up - HOLY S***!!! That was a killer line up. I had heard a rumor that the festival promoters embezzled some money, or something to that effect, and nobody got paid. Because of this, the rumor was that Rothbury would not happen this year. I am assuming it is going on this year? What band are you playing with? Any truth to the rumors from last year?

FWIW, I use a LMII with a UL410....it kills. I have been looking at another amp to replace my CA9 pre/power rig. The rig that has been suggested is the Carvin B1500. I have been reading a great deal of positive info on this amp. Carvin has them for on sale now for $639. From what I can gather, it plays well with the UL410. You might want to look at that one as well.

13. bassistloaded21

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ha all types of rumors came out. It wasnt the Rothbury promotors, it was the Double J Ranch owners. They didnt embezzle, just went bankrupt, actually before the festival even went on, but the time window or whatever wasnt up until Rothbury was over. Everybody got paid, or at least i know I did lol. Was by far the best ive been to, killed Bonaroo and everything, the vibe and feel of the whole thing was unreal, i suggest anybody who can tries to go.