1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Dingwall Just Arrived

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jefft54, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Last week I posted a poll to upgrade my bass. I didn't include a Dingwall but it was suggested by several TB'rs and before I knew it, I had ordered a Super J from Vintage Bass Company. Well, it just arrived at my door. I opened up the case and just stared in awe! It's the most beautiful bass I've ever seen. Without even plugging it in, a few times up and down the strings and the fanned frets felt as natural as standard. Plugged it in, tuned it up and started to play the sweetest axe I've had my hands on. I don't know yet what all the tone options are but I got great mids for slap as well as a nice low P-bass sound (Its a P/J config) and traditional jazz. The neck is thin like a jazz and smooth and fast and feels like a babies behind. I am absolutely amazed at the quality, feel, looks, everything. I can't begin to describe how it feels in my hands. OK, OK, I'm getting carried away. Here's a link for those who haven't seen the pictures.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...o PJ/?sc=1&multi=13&addtype=local&media=image
    :bawl: I'm so happy I'm going to cry :bawl:

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    :)

Nice!

I Know that feeling, and its the best in the world.

Keep us updated on the bass and how you like it. Once you've spent some quality time with it I'd love to see a full review posted.

3. Thanks. When I've had a chance to play it more, I'll give a review. I'm sure there are a lot of people, like me, who just are not familiar with Dingwall and/or the fanned frets. I wonder If I could just sleep with it? :rollno:

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Now you just have to torch it with a flamethrower to rid it of the Dude cooties ;)

Very nice looking bass- first P I've seen on a fanned fret.

5. Congrats! I've been eyeing that one over on the other forum. What a beauty!! :)

6. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    sweet!

7. You know, I don't recall seeing a picture of Steve licking it. Maybe he doesn't do that anymore.:p

8. Looks like Steve's getting another Super J in blue.:hyper:

9. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    The quality and craftmanship look supperb.

Enjoy:)

10. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Sweet dude! I played a Super J at Dingwall's shop in the fall. It's an amazing instrument. Congrats!

11. It's funny, but you can actually FEEL the quality. It's like it morphs through physically. Never felt like this when I held my Fender.:hyper:

12. Jef-
    Congrats on getting a great bass. Keep on playing- the fanned frets are absolutely no problem.
    I know you'll dig the tone, esp consider soloing the rear J pickup, its got so much jaco-esque burp in it that its a slappers dream. One thing I find w/ other SuperJ Players is that we play these basses in passive mode, just because the pickups sound so great.

Lastly, once you get your hands on a bass like this, your other basses will sit idling in the closet and next thing you know they'll be Ebay material
    Enjoy
    frank

13. I've put in a few hours with it now and I don't see any problem with the frets. Play is very comfortable and seems to be easier on my wrist.

I haven't worked much yet with solo'd pups but I will certainly try your suggestions. The pups sound great active and passive. So far the variety of tones I've gotten are exactly what I was looking for.

That's hysterical you said that. I JUST finished putting my Lakland Skyline 55-01 in its gigbag and into the closet. Don't get me wrong, the Laki is a great instrument, just not a Super J. AND, it will be going up for sale here at TB before it hits ebay. Just haven't taken the time to post it because I'M HAVING TOO MUCH FUN PLAYING MY DINGWALL...whew :eek: :rollno: :scowl:

14. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Funny you say this, because I have a 73P, a 92 MIA Jazz, a fretless Jazz and a PRS, all sitting in a closet too. every once in a while I break one out and about 20 minutes later I put it down and pick up the Dingwall...and it just feels and sounds sooo much better.

15. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Funny, I own two basses right now. One is for sale.... the other is a Dingwall :)

16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Also funny...I used to have to change bass strings every 3 weeks or so.

My Dingwall strings, on the other hand, last me about 5 months a set. I just reordered for the first time.

17. Holy crap, that pickguard is HOT!
    Smokin' bass...
    -Alex

18. If anyone is intersted in a Lakland Skyline 55-01 in near new condition, pm me. I'll put it into the For Sale forum as soon as I can. My wife just came home from work and just smiles as she watches me playing the Ding. I guess I must look contented.:D